Monday, May 25, 2015

Tomorrowland Is A Land of Disappointment

We all want the future to be better than today.  We hope that, as a society, we make a better world for our children.  However, I think we can almost all agree that corporate greed and capitalism is having the opposite effect.  But what if there was a place where the greatest minds could come together to build that better world free of the politics and profit?  That place is Tomorrowland.
Casey is just an average girl with the desire to see her NASA engineering father keep his job.  A desire that lands her in a lot of trouble and ownership of a strange pin that transports her to a world that seems only possible in your imagination.  But this world is real, and to get back there Casey must recruit the help of someone who has been there; Frank Walker.  But when they arrive in Tomorrowland they see that things have gone array, and unless they can fix it, their world may be in peril as well.
Most of the performance in this film were adequate, but given George Clooney's acting past I'd say he has more in him than what we saw.  Hugh Larie was a nice villain, but he wasn't in enough of the film to make an impact.  The best job by an actor in this film goes to someone who isn't even old enough to drive a car; Raffey Cassidy.  As the little girl who hands out the Tommorrowland pins she shows great strength as a thespian who is also so young.  If she can continue to grow her talent I think she has a great career ahead of her.
The biggest weakness in Tomorrowland is the pacing.  By the time the characters arrive in Tomorrowland I think it's the time the film should have ended.  We also never get to see the deeper developments to what brought the downfall of this extraordinary world, or why Hugh Larie wants so desperately for our world to destroy itself.  In short, the build up was too long.  What should have been a majority of the film was only the last twenty minutes.  Plus, this limited one of Tomorrowland's best tools in its belt; Hugh Larie. 
I wasn't really expecting a lot from Tomorrowland as I walked into the theater, and I walked out getting what I expected.  However, I did hope more from Brad Bird, the director of The Incredibles.  I liked the message of the film, but I was just disappointed in the execution.  Disney is planning on making more movies about their theme park attractions, but after seeing this one I'm not sure this is such a good idea.  I mean, for God sakes, stop making Pirates of the Caribbean films!  Nobody likes them anymore!

RATING:  C- 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment