Tuesday, June 16, 2015

'Jurassic World' Brings Extinct Franchise Back To Life

Whenever my friends and I are just sitting around, shooting the shit, occasionally the topic of scary movies come up.  Most people say films like It, Halloween, or Friday the 13th as the film that scared them the most.  For me, it was a movie I saw as a kid called Jurassic Park.  At that point in my life the main dinosaurs I watched were in The Land Before Time.  They were cute, happy, and sweet.  My view about these extinct creatures changed after I saw a cup of water vibrate.
Twenty years later ol' T-Rex is back to try and scare the hell out of me again.  Jurassic World is the fourth film in the franchise, but luckily for all of us we can just forget the last two ever happened and go straight to Chris Pratt taming raptors.  John Hammond's vision has been brought to life as Jurassic World is a huge success, but the scientists and creators of this theme park aren't satisfied.  They've created a new dinosaur all their own.  And like A.I., we know that humans creating new life and playing God never works out.
From the moment the John Williams score roared off the screen I was transported back twenty years as I saw something familiar, but also something new. Director Colin Trevorrow was able to recapture the tone and appeal of the original film, which I'm a bit surprised how well he did given his small directing experience.  Chris Pratt, having just come off the mega Marvel hit, Guardians of the Galaxy, shines once again as the lead.  I wasn't sure if to expect Star-Lord in this film or not, and was pleasantly surprised when he played a bit more serious and rough character, but still with a little humor.  Opposite Pratt is Bryce Dallas Howard, who plays the serious, cold, uptight, park runner whom Pratt has to thaw throughout the film. I felt like her character was very stereotypical with not a lot of originality to her, but still played off of Pratt pretty well.  I just don't believe she lasted the entire film wearing those high heeled shoes!
All the other actors seem insignificant next to the dinosaurs.  It was a pleasure to see the raptors evolve out of their usual serial killer role in the franchise to more of a White Fang metamorphosis of wild-beast-turned-man's-best-friend.  I'd definitely want Blue as my pet.  The action was great, I loved seeing some dino on dino fight sequences, and as I watched my wife squirm in the seat next to me I think the suspense of the film worked as well.
I've heard the film makers have several sequels already planned and judging by the little easter eggs in the movie I believe it's true.  From the cleaning out of the lab, too the scarred T-Rex at the end looking over his kingdom.  And I think we all want to see a reunion of Owen and Blue.  I'm sure they'll bring Chris Pratt back, and hopefully the two brothers will continue to play a significant role in the franchise; otherwise their heart to heart talk I believe is a waste.  I think the only expendable one of the main four is Howard.  We'll see if Opie's daughter has made enough of an impression to survive to another film.
My wife wants to go back and see the movie in 3-D, and she HATES 3-D,  so she really must have liked the film.  I'm fine waiting till I buy it on blu-ray, but I am drooling over what the special features will include.  I want see an interview with the actor who decided to save his two margaritas as the pterodactyls attacked!  I'm glad Jurassic World is breaking box office records.  It's a rare film everyone can enjoy that doesn't seemed dumbed-down for any age group.  I'm also now excited to see where the franchise continues from here.  Just as long as they don't turn the sequels into musicals I think it'll be alright.  Trust me, that stuff ruins dinosaur franchises.  

RATING:  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment