Wednesday, July 8, 2015

My Top 5 Young Han Solo Casting Choices

Yesterday, a huge piece of Star Wars news broke as it was officially announced that Disney and Lucasfilm are indeed making a young Han Solo film that will be released in 2018 as part of their Star Wars Anthology series.  Disney also announced the directors of this film would be none other than the duo behind The LEGO Movie and 21 Jump Street; Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.
While I would have preferred an announcement of a solo Obi-Wan film starring Ewan McGregor I am still excited about this news.  Lord and Miller have been on a hot streak ever since 21 Jump Street made me laugh so hard at Channing Tatum.  And it wasn't because of his bad acting for once, it was because he was actually funny.  With these two calling the shots you have to assume the film will have an element of comedy to it.  Han is known for is one liners so I can see this film being a bit light-hearted as Han makes his way in the galaxy with his charm and his smirk.
Not too long ago the debate went on about who would play the new Spider-Man.  Well now that bone has been picked dry and Hollywood has given us something new to chew on.  Who will play the young Han Solo?  I've got my choices narrowed down to five.

5) Richard Madden
Every time Rob Stark was on screen in the HBO series Game of Thrones Madden seemed to have an aura about him that commanded you're presence.  Rob wasn't one of my favorite characters but I thought Madden carried the character very well.  If he can bring that same aura to a Han Solo role I think he'll be well on his to play it the way Harrison Ford did.  On a side note, I also picked Madden to be the next Batman before Ben Affleck was cast. 

4) Ansel Elgort
Yes, I do admit that I watched The Fault In Our Stars because I always try to give each film and television show a fair shake before I dismiss it.  While the film was not good(liked I predicted) Elgort played the bad-boy-of-cancer very well.  He had a charm to him, and that's what we need in Han Solo.  We need an actor who can come off cocky and like him because of it.  That's what Ford did, and that's what I believe Elgort can do.

3) Taron Egerton
Having made a splash in this year's Kingsman: The Secret Service, Egerton has made his presence known in Hollywood and has proved he can carry an action film.  He's got the charm and the chops to pull off a scoundrel.

2) Penn Badgley
I first saw Badgely in the short-lived WB series, The Bedford Diaries, and he later found a home for several years on The CW series Gossip Girl while taking on several films like Easy A and John Tucker Must Die.  While I haven't always been a fan of his choices he has always seemed like a legit actor to me.  An actor who can carry a tough-guy vibe, but turn on some charm when needs be.  Sounds like Han Solo to me.

1) Garrett Hedlund
Once I had my list down I was concerned about several of their ages with them playing a "young" Han Solo.  I looked it up, and Harrison Ford was in his early 30's when started playing Han Solo and everyone on my list is 30 and below.   If Disney won't let Hedlund get another shot at Sam Flynn in a sequel to Tron: Legacy then they should let him play another wise-cracking hero with a chip on his shoulder.  Hedlund can do brooding so I don't see why he wouldn't nail this part.    

No comments:

Post a Comment