Friday, September 4, 2015

My "The Force Awakens" Prep Guide Part III: 'Legend' Novels

Happy Force Friday!  I hope everyone got out there and saw all the new Star Wars products that flooded the shelves.  Also today marks the start of Journey To The Force Awakens.  This is three months of Star Wars media such as books, comics, and video games that all leads to The Force Awakens on December 18th.  Aftermath, the first novel in the "journey", was released today and I am anxious to read it.
The Star Wars Expanded Universe kicked off in 1991 with Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.  I remember by dad buying the book and me trying to read it, but I wasn't quite up to that reading level yet.  Since then their have been lots of Star Wars books.  I've read quite a few Star Wars novels in my day, but a lot of them I didn't end up finishing.  Like I've said, I'm more a comic book Star Wars guy. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good tale when I read it.
When Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 they announced all Expanded Universe media, like the novels, were no long part of true Canon, but now part of something called Legends. I'll get more into what this new Canon is all about in a later post.  But for now, here are my recommendations on some Star Wars novels pre-Canon 2.0.  Also, while I think The Thrawn Trilogy is one of the best Star Wars novels I'm saving it for the comic book section in my next post.

Darth Plagueis by James Luceno (3)
"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis?"  Chancellor Palpatine asked this of Anakin right before he told him the story.  But Palpatine didn't tell him the WHOLE story.  It turns out Plagueis was Palpatine's Sith master and helped conspire with him on the events in The Phantom Menace.  I enjoy this book not really because of Plagueis, but because it highlights Palpatine's rise as a Sith Lord, and how Plageuis recruited him, and helped him gain power.  That is until Darth Sidious eventually killed him.  We even learn Plageuis may have had a hand in Anakin's conception.

Rogue Planet by Greg Bear (4)
Obi-Wan Kenobi watched his master and friend, Qui-Gon Jinn, die right in front of him.  And he could do nothing but make a vow.  Now, several years after The Phantom Menace, Obi-Wan is finding it hard to keep his vow.  This book shows us the relationship between Obi-Wan and his young padawan at an early stage.  Anakin has trouble keeping out of trouble, and this only thins the bond he and Obi-Wan must make.  But by the end of this novel you see the beginning stages of their intriguing friendship.

 Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno (1)
Leading straight into the events of Revenge of the Sith this book is a great read for any Star Wars fan.  Obi-Wan and Anakin are actually in pursuit of Darth Sidious!  The two go on one of their legendary adventures through space as they try and find out who the Sith Lord really is.  

The Truce At Bakura by Kathy Tyers (5)
This book takes place the very next day following Return of the Jedi.  Luke, Han, and Leia are quickly dispatched to Bakura, where a reptilian race is trying to fill the power vacuum the Empire is about to leave before the Rebels can.  However, the most interesting part to me is Leia's journey in this book. Luke has already come to terms that his father was Darth Vader, but Leia despises him.  That is until Anakin's Force ghost pays her a visit.  I recommend this book on that scene alone!  Also, if you think their were no repercussions for Luke taking all that Force lightening from the Emperor, think again.


Legacy of the Force by Aaaron Alltson, Karen Traviss, and Troy Denning (2)
This is really a 9-book series written by various authors, and I always thought it would make a great blue print for Episodes VII-IX.  Han and Leia's children, Jacen and Jaina, are Jedi Knights, and have just suffered the loss of their younger brother Anakin, and their uncle Chewbacca.  But Jacen has taken Luke's son, Ben, under his wing as his padawan.  But as war is slowly creeping into the galaxy once again, Jacen slowly becomes the next Dark Lord of the Sith; Darth Caedus.  Caedus causes much trouble in secret before revealing himself to his family and the galaxy.  And the only hope in stopping Caedus lyes with his twin sister, Jaina, and a battle to the death!

No comments:

Post a Comment