Sunday, October 18, 2015

My The Force Awakens Plot Speculation: Take 3

Twas the night before I buy Star Wars: The Force Awakens tickets and my head was buzzing.  Not only have several teaser trailers come out for tomorrow's full trailer, but the official movie poster for the film has been released.  I do think the poster looks a little crowded, and I have no idea why the hell Luke Skywalker, the hero of the Star Wars saga, is not on it!  To this point we still have no idea what the actual plot of the film is, but I have a feeling tomorrow's trailer will tell us what all these characters are doing in Episode VII.  After each teaser trailer I've jumped on here and given my speculation as to the plot of the film; or what each character is up too.  Since their will probably be no more mystery by tomorrow night I figure I'll give it one last go after see the new poster.
The only thing for certain we know is that this film takes place 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi.  The once great Empire has dissolved and the First Order seems to be taking it's place as the bad guys in the galaxy.  Leia is part of the Resistance, which are of course the good guys fighting against them.  Given the word 'Resistance' is used I don't think the Rebels had the crushing victory we saw in the Expanded Universe, or Legends, after the second Death Star was destroyed.  With the absence of Luke from the poster it makes me believe that Mark Hamill isn't in much of the film.  In fact, I think Han and Chewie are in search for Luke because a new Force baddie, Kylo Ren has shown up.  But they aren't in league with Leia.  I don't even think Han and Leia are together.
Rey, played by Daisy Ridley, is a desert scavenger who lives far enough away on the planet Jakku that she doesn't really know what's happening.  That is until Finn shows up looking for her, because he thinks she knows where Luke is.  But the First Order also wants to know where Luke is, so Kylo Ren is also hunting down Rey and her droid BB-8.  I think Rey was once a padawan to Luke; and is also his niece.  
In the Legends universe Han and Leia had twins, Jacen and Jaina, who were built up as the next generation of Skywalkers.  Jacen turned to the dark side, and his twin sister had to kill him for the good of the galaxy.  While the Legends stuff is no longer Star Wars Canon, Kathleen Kennedy said ideas from Legends can be cherry picked for this new continuity.  I think Rey is the new Jaina Solo and Kylo Ren is the new Jacen Solo.  But Rey has turned away from The Force for fear of repeating her grandfather's destiny. 
So Finn goes undercover in the First Order(which explains the stormtrooper outfit) because they have a lead on Rey, and Leia wants him to protect her and find Luke.  Leia trusts Finn because he too is Force sensitive(which is why he has a lightsaber).  Along the way, Rey and Finn are saved by Han and Chewie and they all go to find Luke together.  By the end of the film they find the former farmboy, but Luke knows the Dark Side is gaining power, and they are not ready to face it.  Filming for Episode VIII has begun with reports that Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley are shooting scenes off the coast of Ireland on Skellig Michael Island.  I think Luke takes Rey to this place to do her Jedi training so she will be strong enough to take down Kylo Ren.
Now there is a big prediction that Han Solo bites the dust by the end of the film because of Harrison Ford's desire to see him die way back when Episode VI was being filmed.  While I don't think this will happen I wouldn't bet against it.  I initially thought Luke would die. Episode I, Qui-Gon Jinn die.  Episode IV, Obi-Wan Kenobi dies.  The mentor figure has always died in the first film of each trilogy.  While maybe not the first film, I do think that by the end of this trilogy Han and Luke will have both joined the Force.  Of course, I'm sure I am wrong about all of this.  But as a life-long Star Wars fan who is super excited for The Force Awakens I've had years to think about what Episode VII will be like.  I still don't know where Poe Dameron or Rey's bo staff fits in(though some are saying Darth Plagueis).  I just hope this new "Starkiller" weapon isn't another Death Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment