Thursday, May 25, 2017

My 34 Years With Star Wars

A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away......to me those word means everything.  Today marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Star Wars(A New Hope subtitle was added later).  This film touched the world in a way no one ever expected, including it's creator; George Lucas.  Decades later, there are Star Wars fans world wide.  Last month I got to meet other Star Wars fans from Australia, Germany, and Japan at my first ever Star Wars: Celebration in Orlando.  Where hundreds of thousands of people gathered to bask in the phenomenon that all started with a young man on a desert planet who craved an adventure. 
I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life.  When my dad would take my brother and I to the local comic book store I used to get back issues of the original Marvel series.  I remember the day Dark Empire #1 was released(still coolest cover ever).  I remember begging my dad to buy me the Star Wars novelization, but first, to make sure I was advance enough to read it, he made me read several pages from the most recent Star Wars book he was reading; Heir To The Empire. I remember seeing every Star Wars movie in theaters(starting in 1997) and how mad I was at my parents for not letting me go to the midnight showing of The Phantom Menace(looking back on that one I should thank them).  When I used to drive my car in the snow with my headlights on it made me feel like I was traveling through hyperspace. I've had more Star Wars toys than I can count(still have my lightsabers), and to this day The Empire Strikes Back is my go-to Sick Day movie.  
I have been lucky enough to share my love for Star Wars with lots of people in my life, but probably my favorite has been my wife; Lisa.  When I first met her, she liked the Star Wars films, but had never read any of the books or comics.  Now, she's always listening to the audiobooks in the car, she has just as much apparel as I do, and any time I find something Star Wars related she rarely says "No".  I honestly believe it has brought us closer together as couple. I told her years ago if she didn't at least like Star Wars I never would have even dated her.  So why do I love Star Wars so much?  Because, to me, it's about the biggest "war" of all; the one within us.
When it began, Star Wars seemed pretty simple.  It was about a young man who yearned for more, and ended up being taken on a journey that changed him forever.  He saved the princess and defeated the evil man in black.  But as Luke Skywalker's story goes on the details get more complex and layered.  The evil man in black is really his father, whom had suffered great tragedy.  So Luke must decide if he should kill his father, or forgive him for all the horrors he's committed.
On the other side of the coin, Anakin Skywalker was a young boy who was forced into a life of slavery, only to be saved and taken to a place that told him he was special.  He fell in love, let his feelings control him, and in the end it cost him everything he cared about.  Regardless of how you feel about the prequels, the story of Darth Vader is a very real one.
We all have people we care about in our lives.  As a husband and father myself, I would kill to keep them safe.  Anakin wanted more power to try and save the people he loved.  I honestly believe the decisions he made are the same ones we would all make.  It may sound evil, but I think it's really just our humanity.  Anakin's son, Luke, also faced a similar situation but chose a different path.  He put his faith in his father, and trusted that his love would be enough to safe them both.
Another reason I think Star Wars has lasted as long as it has it because of the deep mythology Lucas created.  Up until The Force Awakens he created it all, and filled it with people we all know.  I can't tell you how many times my wife reminds me of Hera, my smart-mouth sounds like Obi-Wan, and I know someone I actually call "Snips."  He imagined this world of excitement we can all live in.  We can swing a laser sword and take down the ice monster.  We can see ourselves running for our lives as we escape the horribly inaccurate stormtroopers.  And who hasn't thought about having a dogfight in a spaceship?  It's our wildest dreams we'll never get to live, but we can watch it on screen time after time.
Many years ago The History Channel(back when it actually showed historical programs) did a documentary on the Star Wars saga called Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed.  It was about how Star Wars took notes from ancient mythology, religion, and history.  But it shows how Star Wars is similar to stories that have survived centuries because they tell us something about ourselves.  It's on YouTube.  I highly recommend it! 

  Today I did the math, I will easily be alive for the 50th anniversary of Star Wars(I hope), but to make it to the 100th year anniversary I'm going to have to live to be 94.  It's no impossible, but I'd better start cutting back on the brownies and bacon just in case.  
I guess what I've been trying to say in this somewhat scattered post is that Star Wars is in my DNA(possibly midi-chlorians) because it taps into something inside of me.  I love the characters I relate to and the adventures those characters take me on. I know people who don't like Star Wars, and while I respect their opinions I also feel like they don't get what the core of it is.  It was/is about a young man who craved an adventure, but ended up getting one he didn't expected. I just think we can all relate to that.  Because it's called life.


No comments:

Post a Comment