Monday, February 8, 2021

Falcon and the Winter Soldier Super Bowl Spot

      As I sat down last night to watch the 2021 Super Bowl I, like some people, weren't tuning in to see the Buccaneers vs Chiefs.  Going back decades, the commercials during the big game have always been a big part of the Super Bowl experience.  For me, I always look forward to seeing what new movie trailers might pop-up so that the studios can let as many people know what they are releasing in the coming year.  As the evening went on I was disappointed by how little trailers we saw, but I guess this was to be anticipated since most film studios aren't even sure when, or if, their films will arrive in the theaters due to the on-going pandemic.  But even in the darkest of times a light shined bright, a reflecting light from a shield.  But who will wield it is the true question.

     It's no secret my favorite MCU character is Captain America.  I prefer his trilogy over the sacred Dark Knight trilogy, the Iron Man trilogy, or if you can even call the Thor films a trilogy.  Like Superman, he's a guy who always tries to do the right thing, and the right thing is usually the hardest thing.  So, as old man Rogers sat on that bench in Endgame, I was sadden by the idea of an MCU without Captain America, but excited that a series about his legacy was on it's way.

     When Marvel Studios announced that they were doing Disney+ series the one I was most excited for was Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  Steve Rogers two best friends teaming up in his absence to try to keep the world safe with him gone. Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan reprise their roles along with Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter, and Daniel Bruhl as the villainous Zemo.  And rounding out the cast is Wyatt Russell as John Walker, otherwise known in the comics as U.S. Agent, a man who tried to be Captain America and failed.

     So where do I think this is all going after last night's Super Bowl spot?  Well, as we see, Bucky and Sam are still having their friendly rivalry with what seems like a therapist trying to help them work out their issues, and settle a staring contest.  It's like two little brothers who compete for dominance now that the big brother has left.  They both want to carry on the good work Steve would be doing, but they have to try and survive each other.  Classic buddy cop series! The two actors verbal sparring made for some good scenes in Civil War, and that chemistry was probably the start of the idea for this series I'm guessing.  

     Now, in the comics books, both Sam and Bucky have played the role of Captain America when Steve couldn't, and I must say, Bucky's run as Cap by Ed Brubaker is my favorite storyline ever from the title. So I'm a bit biased.  At the end of Endgame it seemed like both Steve and Bucky gave their blessing for Sam to carry the shield. But someone else may want a say about who represents America.  My GUESS is that the government wants their own Captain America. One who will be a good solider and not defy their orders. And they probably picked John Walker.  So again, my GUESS is that you'll have two or even three characters all vying for who will be the next Captain America when it's all done. And hopefully learning what that responsibility means.

     However, if it's up to Zemo none of them would be the next Cap.  The villian from Civil War is back, and while most saw him as a weak adversary, I saw him as man who knew how to strategize.  

     "My father . . . still holding my wife and son in his arms. And the Avengers? They went home. I knew I couldn't kill them. More powerful men than me have tried. But, if I could get them to kill each other."

     This is a guy who thinks the world shouldn't have superheroes.  And that having the First Avenger gone is sign for him to continue his quest of toppling the empire.  Is he right?  We'll find out as he teams up with Solo alumni Erin Kellyman to take on the dynamic duo.

     But, like Batman and Robin, it looks like the boys will have some help from a girl.  Sharon Carter returns in this trailer to kick some ass and I'm sure sort out some feelings about losing her man to her aunt Peggy.  In the comics Sharon is the true love of  Steve's life, but for the MCU we all knew it was Peggy.  I'm glad to see VanCamp back and I hope this series gives her some more character development than we've seen in the films, much like I hope it does for Mackie and Stan.

     It's a spy-action series that has Captain America's supporting cast taking center stage.  It looks to be of high quality and high thrills.  I'm in!  And with a March 19 release date it will start just as WandaVision ends. If everything stays on track this will be a year packed full of MCU material on the big AND small screen. I wasn't even that excited about WandaVision and I'm loving it.  So for characters and a series I'm actually excited for?  I could do this all day.





No comments:

Post a Comment