Monday, November 1, 2021

The Book of Boba Fett's 1st Trailer

       Next week is Disney+ Day. The Mouse House has promised exclusive looks and insight into what the company has in store for the streaming service.  One thing we Star Wars fans figured we'd get was our first trailer for the newest series; The Book of Boba Fett.  So, I for one was surprised when Disney/Lucasfilm released a Boba Fett trailer a week before Disney+ Day.  It was already anticipated, so why not wait another week, or perhaps Disney has another big surprise in store for us fanboys to make us geek out?

     In any event, the trailer runs just under two minutes long and provides us a sliver of what this entry of the Star Wars franchise has in store.  For those who didn't know, there was an end credit scene in the final episode of season 2 of The Mandalorian.  In it, Boba Fett and Fennec Shand return to Tatooine, to Jabba's palace to find Jabba's old crony running the show.  With one blaster bolt, Boba takes the throne and it looks like he's going to be in charge.  And that's what we get in this trailer; Fett and Shand trying to take control of the Underworld that Jabba once ruled.

      At first viewing I was a little underwhelmed.  With the series premiering in less than two months I thought there would be more to it than this.  However, I expect another trailer to be released before the series airs on December 29.  To be honest I've always been one of those guys who thought Boba Fett was overrated.  I never saw the appeal.  But after he shows up in the last season of The Mandalorian looking for his armor, and then helps Din Djarin kick some stormtrooper ass, he thought he finally lived up to his reputation. Though, he did seem a little less ruthless than his reputation would perceive him.  Maybe getting swallowed by a living pit in the desert gives a guy a new perspective? 

      When a spin-off series was announced I was intrigued, but like The Mandalorian, the lack of Jedi and Force ushers didn't get me super excited.  But from this trailer it looks like we getting a galactic Sopranos.  One man's quest to seize and keep power in an area of the galaxy where everyone else is trying to to the same.

      One thing I liked about The Mandalorian was how it connected to other parts of the Star Wars universe.  Din finding a creature of the same species as Yoda, being rescued by Death Watch during the Clone Wars, the status of the Empire years after Return of the Jedi, the beginning of Snoke, and several memorable cameos. So what do I think we could see in this series, or what do I hope for?  For me, Boba's connection to the clones has been his more interesting characteristic. Could we see Temuera Morrison play multiple roles like say a Captain Rex or even a member of the Bad Batch?  What about his "sister" Omega?  As far as the underworld, I'm taking a cue from one of my favorite Star Wars podcasters, Joseph Scrimshaw, and going on "Hondo Watch."  The animated pirate turned Galaxy's Edge host could provide some great comic relief against Morrison and Ming-Na Wen's serious characters.  A live-action Doctor Aphra would be cool.  I would also hope for Cad Bane, but we saw him return not that long ago in The Bad Batch; so I don't want to be greedy.

From this first look, The Book of Boba Fett looks like it builds off the feel The Mandalorian sets up.  But I expect it to be even more gritty.  Either way, it's Star Wars, so everyone knows I'm in.....unless it's LEGO.



No comments:

Post a Comment