Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Who Likes Star Wars? Book of Boba Fett, Chapter 6

WARNING!! CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT: CHAPTER 6: FROM THE DESERT COMES A STRANGER.   

The problem with living in an age where information can be shared in an instant is that spoilers for media can also be shared in an instant.  I was online this morning for less than five minutes before I saw spoilers for The Book of Boba Fett: Chapter 6: From The Desert Comes A Stranger. But, I only blame myself.  I know better than to look at Twitter or YouTube before watching a new episode of a popular series.  

I also now know the title of this episode refers to the mysterious man who walks in from the Tatooine desert and shoots Cobb Vanth.  For the "Knight fans" of Star Wars and above (I have a system for levels of SW fandom) we know this blue alien is Cad Bane, the best bounty hunter in the galaxy.  His name was never said, but anyone who's seen The Clones Wars or even The Bad Batch know he's one hombre not to be messed with.  That was my favorite scene in this episode.  Because it served the story of the series.  It gave us a new player who is working for the Pykes, he has a history with both Boba and Fennec, and is going to be someone who will be a problem for Boba and his crew.  That is, if we ever get back to Boba Fett.  

I was never a big Boba Fett fan.  I quote Windows from the movie Fanboys, "All style.  No substance."  All Boba ever did in the movies was track down Han Solo, deliver him to Jabba, and then he goes out like a punk in the Sarlacc Pit.  In the Expanded Universe he starred in multiple books and comics that make him a seem like a badass.  But he still ain't no Jedi.  So far in this series we've seen Boba get out of the Sarlacc Pit, get taken in by a group of Tusken Raiders, rescue Fennec Shand, and then take over Jabba's old business.  I honestly think the series has been a snore fest.  However, last week's episode, catching up with Din Djarin, woke me up!  I loved it!  But that's because we know Din, like Din, and can't wait for The Mandalorian season 3! I still don't know who Boba Fett is.

This week we see Mando finally join Boba's clan.  But that was the one scene Boba appeared in the whole episode and I don't think he even spoke!  Again, I'm not a fan of Boba Fett, but in a seven-part season the main character will go almost a quarter of the season without a line of dialogue. And this doesn't set good with me because, aside from his flashbacks, I don't think Boba has had any character growth, or have any sense of character to him at all.  Not even the second lead, Fennec Shand, has had a decent storyline to care about.  In any action movie, you can make the sky fill with people falling off buildings, but if I don't care about those people, it won't be as emotional.  And that's what good storytelling does, try to get an emotional response out of us. Whether it be happy, sad, anger, excitement, or dread.  With one episode left in the season, and a big action sequence coming up, I feel nothing for Boba or Fennec.

Meanwhile, on a planet we have no idea what it is; some droids are building a future Jedi school.  We can assume it's going to be the place that we see get burned down in The Last Jedi, but we don't know that because the episode never told us.  So again, no emotional connection.  Din is going to give Grogu his Beskar chainmail but decides not to give it to him after a brief talk with Ahsoka about Jedi not having attachments.  Did we learn nothing from the Star Wars franchise up to this point?  It was the Jedi's outdated rules that lead to their own destruction!  And it was Luke's attachment his father, Anakin's attachment to his son, that saved the galaxy and brought down Palpatine (for a while). Grogu's relationship to Din, like any relationship, could be a good thing.  Just like any relationship that anybody has, Jedi or not.  

Luke Skywalker is my favorite fictional character ever.  The day Mark Hamill passes, I will cry.  I have no doubt.  Ahsoka Tano is my wife's favorite Star Wars character.  Sure, I liked seeing these characters. But the Grogu training scenes seemed unnecessary in a Boba Fett show. They belong in The Mandalorian season 3.  I liked that Grogu felt he had to choose between being a Foundling or a Padawan.  But after all Luke has gone through would he make Grogu choose just one role? Perhaps it's that narrow view that leads to Luke's own downfall with his nephew.  But what was Ahsoka doing there?  "I'm a friend of the family."  It was a cute line but doesn't explain why she was there. I don't go over to my good friend's house without a reason. Was she there to ask Luke something?  Was she there to check on Grogu?  There was no practical reason for her to be there other than, "Hey, it's Ahsoka!"  Luke could have easily shared those few lines with Din about letting go of Grogu.  SIDENOTE:  The Luke CGI looked WAY BETTER than at the end of The Mandalorian season 2.

It just feels like the storytellers are not focusing enough on its story.  Grogu and Din's journey belongs in their show; The Mandolorian.  This is Boba and Fennec's show.  So why isn't it?  All this diversion away from them is making the audience more against Boba when we need to spend more time with him to care actually about he and Fennec.  This episode had great cameos and moments, but to me it's sideline fan service.  The Mandalorian season 2 had a lot of guest stars and cameos, but the focus was always on Din's journey.  For two great storytellers like Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, they are better than what they're giving us.

I will end on this quote that I think sums up my feelings on Boba and Mando. I forget where I heard this last week, but someone said, "Din Djarin is who we wanted Boba Fett to be all these years."  And I think it's true.  Favreau wanted to do a Boba Fett series.  And he made a great one, and then some with The Mandalorian.  But now what does Boba Fett become? I'm still waiting.  



No comments:

Post a Comment