Saturday, June 18, 2022

Lightyear Flies Us Into The Future

To Infinity and Beyond.  That phrase was etched into pop culture back in 1995, and there isn't a person alive today who doesn't know it's a Toy Story reference.  If you look at the audience ratings, box office, and even merchandise sales, the Toy Story franchise is one of the best in history.  In 2019, it looked like the franchise may be coming to its finale with Toy Story 4, but it seems Pixar was just looking for a new angle to play on this Disney legacy.

Lightyear is supposedly the movie little Andy saw that made him want a Buzz Lightyear action figure for his birthday in 1995.  Instead of Tim Allen coming back to voice the Space Ranger, Captain America himself, Chris Evans, takes over the vocal performance for this spin-off.  I will say there were moments in the film I couldn't help but think I was watching an animated Steve Rogers.  Buzz seems so noble and heroic like Evan's Cap it was hard to not see the similarities.  Especially when he meets an older version of himself, or Old Man Steve as he is affectionally called.  But Buzz in the film is different enough from Steve that separation can be achieved. Captain Lightyear is so set on completing his mission and correcting his mistake it blinds him to everything else happening around him. Namely the lives being lived, and the one he isn't living because of his tunnel vision of achieving light speed.

Surrounding Evans in this cast is a voice talent that includes fellow Marvel alumni, Taika Waititi.  This group of misfits helps Buzz in his journey and provides laughs along the way.  Some comedy relief can be distracting in these Disney animated films, but I think the characters in this movie weren't too much.  I even thought Sox the cat was enjoyable; and I hate cats.  Maybe I just need a robotic cat that serves more as an R2-D2 than arrogant pest.  

It was Buzz's relationship with the Hawthrone family that tied this film together.  As Buzz races through time, he saw his friend get older, have a family, and eventually team-up with her granddaughter to stop Zurg.  I thought the moment at the beginning of the film when Buzz walks into an empty office would get me, but it was the end of the film when Izzy says, "I'm finally a Space Ranger, grandma," and then Buzz lingers for a moment to remember is friend, that made me go, "awww."  

From the moment Buzz's first line of dialogue mirrored his first words in the franchise I was looking for the Toy Story Easter Eggs.  Sadly, we don't get a "falling with style" line, but that's because he actually flew in this movie.  As he collected his laser, his wings, and even he space-ship packaging, the 12-year-old in me smiled at every reference.  

The only negatives I have in this film is the cookie-cutter story.  There weren't much as far as surprises, even when Old Man Buzz showed up, their conversation immediately had me thinking of the one between Mr. Frederickson and Charles Muntz from Up, consumed by the mission and not thinking about who it hurts.  Buzz is a man-out-of-time who sees everyone else get older.  Like I said, it's a somewhat familiar Chris Evan's character basis. But I do think this film gives it's self a lot of room for sequel potential.  

The end of the film, and the very last post-credit scene (past the Disney logo), sets up the further adventures off Buzz and his new team of Space Rangers, and one that I wouldn't mind seeing where it goes, if the film performs well. As of right now it seems a lot of critics are torn on how they feel about Lightyear, so it'll be up to the audience and the box office to see if this is a new direction Pixar can take the Toy Story franchise.  I don't really want to see a Woody's Round-Up film, but a serious animated western could be interesting.  To me, Lightyear is not top Pixar, but it's of the quality worthy of the Pixar brand. 



No comments:

Post a Comment