Friday, July 8, 2022

Strange New Worlds Boldly Goes To A New Past

I've never been a big Star Trek fan. Growing up, there was the classic Star Trek vs Star Wars battle. I, of course, was team Star Wars, still am. But as I aged, I started to appreciate Star Trek more. I learned how this future was supposed to be one of hope, and one to aspire too. And that every episode, and every alien race they encountered, was a metaphor for a portion of the human experience. In recent years I've enjoyed the Kelvin films, even though I know some long-term Trekkies don't. I, however, couldn't get into Star Trek: Discovery, and I was disappointed with Picard after the season 1 finale. But Strange New Worlds looked intriguing to me being that it was based on the original failed Star Trek pilot episode. After learning the plot of this series, I actually went and watched sed pilot that didn't see its way to TV screens till years later, after Star Trek was considered a success.

Having done my research before the series started, I knew the fates of Pike, Spock, and Uhura, but the series still had enough new characters that keep me guessing what their fates would be since they were not on Kirk's Enterprise crew. The character I took too most was Captain Pike. The man whose hair kept getting bigger every episode, according to my wife, and the rest of the internet. Anson Mount's portrayal of charm, wit, and compassion make him ideal to lead this cast into the unknown. Even though the series is more episodic than serialized, each character still had a through line in the season. Pike's was the knowledge of knowing his own fate, and whether he would accept it, or possibly change it. His Number 1, played by Rebecca Romjin, has her own secret, and that comes to a head in the season finale, and sets up the drama for season 2.

Probably the most known character in the Star Trek franchise is Spock. In this series he is played by Ethan Peck, and we all knew he was going to immediately be compared to not only Leonard Nimoy, but Zachary Quinto as well. I thought Peck did a fine job as the mixed-race Vulcan. In this season Spock struggled with his commitment to his finance and his duty to Starfleet. Spock's friendship with Kirk is legendary, and the foundation of that is laid with Pike, and maybe a bit too much in my eyes. It seems that in Star Trek mythology Spock doesn't warm up to humans that much till Kirk, Bones, and the rest of the original series crew. He and Pike just seem too cozy for he and Kirk to then later become besties. It also seems too obvious Spock's growing relationship with Nurse Chapel will be the undoing of his engagement. However, seeing how I am enthralled with the character of Nurse Chapel, I can't say I blame him.

The other new character I really like is the pilot, Erica Ortegas. Even though she hasn't had much in regards of her own storyline she's involved with the other members of the crew, and she gives some of the best one-liners of the series. Security Officer, Lieutenant Singh is someone the season focused on quite a bit, but to be honest I wish they focused more on Dr. M'Benga more and the quandary with his daughter's health. I felt that storyline was not only wrapped up too soon, but it was also my least favorite episode of the season.

Rounding out this season's cast was Celia Rose Gooding as Cadet Uhura, who is still trying to decide if she even wants to be a Starfleet officer, which is far from the character we get Nichelle Nichols playing in the original series. But I did enjoy her interactions with the other crew members and was both impressed and saddened by Engineer Hemmer's valiant sacrifice before parting words of wisdom to the cadet.

Again, some long time Star Trek fans don't like how Canon is being played with, no episode more showing of this than the crew's encounter with the Gorn that seemed more like the film Aliens than Star Trek. To this I say, Star Trek was a dying franchise until 2009. It has been revitalized and is now reaching a whole new audience. As a life-long comic book reader I can sympathize though. Canon is often overlooked or washed away in hopes of attracting new readers. But in an "adapt or die" society the helmsmen behind Star Trek are hoping to keep this ship flying because there is something special about this franchise that has lasted over 60 years. It is the hope of a better tomorrow, which we often don't get in TV and films these days.

I think that is why I have been drawn to Star Trek more as I've gotten older. My outlook on the world's future gets bleaker, but Star Trek reminds me of the possibility of what it could be. Season 1 of Strange New Worlds was a season I kept up with every week but didn't love every episode. The characters are solid, and the finale I believe finished its freshman year strong. Some Trekkies have complained that it isn't quality stories like Star Trek used to tell, but my rebuttal to that is this. My number one priority in media is caring about the characters, and Strange New Worlds does that enough for me to boldly go where I've never gone before: watch an entire season of a Star Trek show.



No comments:

Post a Comment