Monday, January 7, 2013

Second Genesis

Well, a new year has come and I figured it was time for a new blog; for several reasons.  First off, my old blog was called "Waiting for Wednesday" in reference to the fact that new comic books come out on Wednesdays, a day I look forward too.  But now I've stopped collecting single issue comic books and sold most of the ones I own.  I say 'single issue' because I am still planning on keeping up with comic books, but in graphic novel form.  It's kind of like when you stop watching new episodes of a TV show every week and just watch the whole season all at once when the DVD comes out.  It saves me some money and time.
The way I see it my expenses are comics, DVD's, alcohol, and eating out.  By switching to graphic novels, and buying them at Half-Price Books, I not only cut my monthly comic budget in half, but also don't waste the gas money driving up north every week to the CBS (comic book store).  Although half the experience is going to the CBS every week and looking all the new comics and collectibles, I thought it was time to make a responsible choice.  Plus graphic novels on a tight book shelf will last longer than single issues and, according to my wife, look better than cardboard boxes.  My big issue has been trying to get all the graphic novel versions of all the single issues I've sold.  Let's just say I went from 8 long boxes of comic books to 1.  The last box I will be keeping single issues in that I feel are valuable or someday will be.
Thanks to the local library I can also cut down on my comic and DVD spending because they have both.  Lisa and I only go to the movie theater when there is a movie we desperately want to see, and I plan on using Redbox for the other ones I want to see.  Every other film that peaks my curiosity I will wait months for and rent it free from the Austin Public Library.  The same goes for graphic novels.  As for my vices of alcohol and hating to cook I can simply just order off the $1 menu and not buy as much beer because liquor lasts longer and I find gives me less hangovers.
So, back to the point of this blog.  I'm not just going to be talking about comic books, TV, and movies like I did in my last blog.  I could literally write about anything.  I have been called an 'enigma' more than once in my life because I have such a variety of interest.  I love comic books, TV, movies, and most things geeky (not nerdy, theirs a difference) but I also love watching sports and playing sports.  And of course I watch the news almost everyday so I can keep up with current events, politics, and world events.
The title of this blog is a reference to the show Supernatural, where every week the recap of previous events starts with the title "The Road So Far...."  Supernatural is about 2 brothers who travel the country hunting demons and monsters to kill.  Of course it's only natural that my brother Patrick would be the one who introduced me to this show.   Some nights I lye awake at night shuttering at the idea that I will get old and die some day, and for now I can take comfort that I'm still closer to the beginning of my life than the end.  So, hence, the name of this blog, "My Road So Far...."
Of course, the big reason for all these changes is that Lisa and I are about to begin the next stage of out lives: parenthood.  I believe that the meaning of life is for each generation to take what they have learned in their lives and pass it on to the next, thus making each generation better than the last, and therefore making the world better.  But, I also believe the exact opposite is happening because the wrong kind of people are reproducing more frequently than the right kind of people.  In any event, I'm anxious to begin this next chapter of life.  From what I'm told you can never really be fully prepared for parenthood so I'm also anxious for the little surprises that await us.  After buying a house and getting stable jobs a little unstable-ness could be for the better.
We only have a few weeks to go before we welcome little Nora Theresa into the world.  Lisa and I had boys name all picked out, but we had to think about a girl's name.  FYI, for the next child my top girl names are Rachel and Kara.  My top boy names are Clark (which we've agreed on), Luke (which Lisa won't let me have), and Nathan (which Lisa just plain doesn't like).  If anyone can tell me why I like all 5 of those names, and the reference I'm making with this post's title, then they are the person that knows me best.  That being said I think the best person to know the answer is Patrick or Lisa, if she's been paying attention to all my rants throughout the years.
So, please stay with me as I continue writing about comics, TV, movies, parenthood, and the occasional 'what am I doing with my life', rant which is sure to happen.  And I will keep trekking down this road of life with all it's speed bumps, detours, and Yield signs.  Now if you'll excuse me Lisa and I are about to go look at 'family friendly' vehicles. Too quote one my favorite songs of all-time, "Life's journey, not a destination."  Thank you Steven Tyler!  

No comments:

Post a Comment