Saturday, November 9, 2013

CASTING CALL: THE DEFENDERS

A few days ago it was announced that Netflix would be creating more original programming. These new series will be based on Marvel comic characters.  This is all part of a multi-corporate deal through Disney.  You see, Disney owns Marvel and has a partnership with Netflix.  So together they’re going to make 4 series, at least 13 episodes each, and then create a miniseries, The Defenders.  While all of the characters they’re using characters have been on The Defenders, it wasn’t at the same time, but I’m gonna let it slide because I’m psyched by this announcement!  Marvel Studios has been doing great with creating their "Marvel cinematic universe" and although I stopped watching Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. after the 3rd episode I have a feeling these new series will be a little more enjoyable for myself and others.
The four characters they picked aren’t the heroes who go out and fight aliens like The Avengers.  And they don’t fight mega-super villains either.  Mainly they stick to the streets of New York and fight gangs, ninja clans, and other non-universe threats.  I think this whole project could be something really new and interesting for Marvel Studios.  It’s much like when they introduced Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America films and then made an Avengers movie.  They have the same opportunity here to re-create that formula, but only making something a little more edgier. 
This Netflix world can still be a part of the "Marvel cinematic universe" but because of the setting and characters can also have a different feel.  I wanted a Heroes for Hire TV series years ago!  As soon as I heard the announcement my first thought was casting, because, like Chris Evans and Samuel L. Jackson, these actors may be asked to play these characters in movies or other TV series.  When I think about casting a franchise I always try to think of younger actors who can do the role for the next decade or more.  But I also wanted to get a good fit for it all. I hope you like my choices!

Grey Damon as Daredevil/Matt Murdock
For those of you who did not see Ben Affleck’s portrayal of Daredevil on the big screen you didn’t miss much.  However if you missed the blu-ray Director’s Cut you missed a pretty good film.  Matt Murdock is blinded as a child in a chemical accident that heightens the rest of his senses 10x.  Matt’s father is then murdered by the mob and he goes on to fight crime in Hell’s Kitchen. Check out Frank Miller’s origin story.  It’s my favorite.  And yes rookies, he’s the same guy who wrote 300, Sin City, and The Dark Knight Returns.
I mostly know Damon from his role on Friday Night Light (love it) and since then he’s guest starred in several TV series and movies.  I’m a firm believer in getting someone for a role who looks the part or can be slightly altered to look the part.  Matt Murdock is a redhead so matching that can be tricky.  Affleck just dyed his hair so it looked dark-red, but just never seemed right to me.  Damon’s got a gentle voice and light red hair that I think would fit Matt Murdock perfectly.  He’s young enough to do the physicality of the role, and a good enough actor to make this troubled hero come to life!  Also, since the character is some-what-well-known, like the Superman formula, you can rely on the brand name and bring in a not-so-well-known actor for what I'm sure will be the center of this Netflix world.
   

Morris Chestnut as Power Man/Luke Cage
Cage grew up on the streets of New York, in the hood if you will.  He’s caused trouble, and even ended up in prison.  But after getting out Cage volunteered for an experiment that gave him super strength and impenetrable skin.  Since then he’s become a softer character has matured into a hero, husband, and father.
Face it, Chestnut just looks the part perfectly.  Although he’s a little older that I’d like to cast Cage I can’t deny he’d be perfect for the part. Plus I think him being older could make him more seasoned and wise compared to the younger characters.  Chestnut also has a long history of acting from Boyz in the Hood to Kick-Ass 2.  Also, we needed Cage and Iron Fist to look good together, and I think Chestnut and Hedlund would play off each other well.
   

Garrett Hedlund as Iron Fist/Danny Rand
Danny Rand is the son of a millionaire.  His father was obsessed with finding the mystical city of K’un L’un.  His parents were killed in this quest and Danny was found and raised by the people of K’un L’un.  After years of martial arts training Danny gained the powers of the immortal Iron Fist by defeating a dragon….yes, a dragon.  Danny then returns to New York to reclaim his father’s company and use his new abilities to fight crime.  He soon teams up with Power Man, a.k.a. Luke Cage, and forms Heroes for Hire(yes, it’s just like it sounds) and then much later the two get their own Avengers team.  To me, Iron Fist is like Batman meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I highly recommend the Ed Brubaker and Duane Swierczynski's 5-volume run.  It’s what got me interested in the character.
Hedlund is most known for his role as Sam Flynn in 2010’s Tron: Legacy.  His character had a chip on his shoulder that is only matched by Danny Rand’s. He looks the part and would look great standing next to Chestnut.  My only hesitation is Hedlund’s ability to master the martial art moves. Rand is almost has a self-destructive in his personal life as Matt Murdock, but it’s his relationship with Luke Cage I find most interesting.  Rand is a rich guy who grew up with Kung-Fu monks.  Cage is an ex-con who grew up on the mean streets of New York.  These two guys could not be more opposite and yet they’ve been best friends for years.  I’d like to explore why. 
 

Jessica Biel as Power Woman/Jessica Jones
To be honest I don’t know a lot about Jessica Jones.  I never really knew the character until she married Luke Cage.  In high school she has a crush on Peter Parker and was exposed to the same radiation he was, minus the spider-bite.  This put Jessica in a coma for years, until she woke-up and realized she had super-strength and flight.  Must have been one hell of a nap.
This character is tough, almost has tough as her husband.  We’ve seen Biel kick some vampire butt in Blade:Trinity and also kick Kate Beckinsale’s butt in Total Recall, which is technically the same thing if you think about it.  I think she would compliment this cast perfectly. 
 



Ok Disney.  I did the hard part; now make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment