Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Psychological-Superhero Breakthrough

Last night my wife and I went to go see the newest super-hero film by Marvel Studios; Thor: The Dark World.  While I enjoyed the film I liked the first Thor film better. I felt like it had a better heroes journey for Thor and the end battle meant more rather than just fighting the dark elf for the destruction of the universe. On the way home we discussed the film and she seemed to be more entertained by it than I was.  Of course the whole time I was watching the film I was just hoping to see a member of Guardians of the Galaxy, but I didn't catch any.  I explained to her that while I like the Iron Man and Thor films I've never really enjoyed reading their comics.  I own several Captain America comics and feel like I can relate to the character more.  A skinny kid who grows up to become a confident hero I think loosely describes my life better than an alcoholic genius or an intergalactic prince.  My wife then commented that while she enjoys Captain America she likes characters like Thor and Batman better because Cap is just so, "good".
This lead to commentary about some of my favorite comic book characters.  While it is known that I like Captain America and Superman, two of the most "good" comic book characters around, I never fully understood why.  After my wife said how "good" these characters are I came up with the rebuttle, "do you know how hard it is to be good?"  That phrase then got me thinking about my other favorite comic book to read, X-Men, and then it all clicked for me.
Captain America and Superman are iconic symbols in their respective universes.  They do the right thing no matter what and stand above the rest of the heroes as something to strive for.  They do the "good" thing because someone has to, because someone as to show humanity what is best in us, even when it's the hardest thing to do.  Then there are the X-Men.  "Sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them" seems pretty similar to what Cap and Supes do; and these are three of my favorite comics to read.
I was raised in a good home, by good parents, had a good childhood, and believed good things will happen.  I smile at people on the street, I open doors for strangers, and I always try to help a friend in need.  I read the news every day and I see what happens in the world and I see with my own eyes how some people can be so selfish and cruel.  I think kindness is contagious.  If someone is exposed to it enough it rubs off on them. From my years of working in customer service I tell you that being nice to a person who isn't recipricating it isn't the easiest thing.  In fact, sometimes it seems impossible.  But I do it at work, and I try to do it my life as well.  Not because I'm naive or don't believe in getting my hands dirty.  Like my favorite heroes, I do falter sometimes, more than they seem to do, but it's all in the desire to be better than the rest of the world. Because Like Captain America, Superman, and the X-Men I think if we all strived to be better than the world might actually be better.  And when I find people who don't feel the same, well, let's just my shield is upstairs.   Seriously.....I have a shield, it's awesome!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment