Sunday, March 9, 2014

5 Questions, 3 Seasons, and 1 Iron Throne!

I didn't sleep much last night.  I kept thinking about this morning and how excited I was to wake-up at 7am on a Sunday.  Today was the day I waited months for.  It was the day I finally sat on the Iron Throne of Westeros!  The Game of Thrones Exhibition has traveled to several cities throughout the world and I am lucky enough to live in one of those cities.  I must really credit the South by Southwest Film Festival; because without it being such a big deal no one would ever have thought to bring it to Austin, TX.  We don't even have a professional sports team.  
I walked up to the Austin Music Hall this morning with a giant 'Game of Thrones' banner hanging on the side of it.  I was immediately thrilled, and also shocked to see that about fifty people or more were already in line before the doors even opened on a chilly Sunday morning.  Once inside we were all immersed in our wildest fantasies.  We saw costumes, props, and a memoriam to all those already killed during the first three seasons of the show. There was a virtual experience where you rode to the top of The Wall as cold air blew at your belly.  And of course, the Iron Throne was for everyone to sit on if you had the time to wait in line.  Once I sat my buttock down it felt more like plastic than iron to me, and with other people anxiously waiting there turn it was hard to fully enjoy the moment.  But it still makes a good damn picture. 
 All this did was get me more excited to watch season 4 next month when it premieres.  I'm not the type of person to read all the books.  I like to be surprised and be held in suspense while watching the show.  So after each book has been aired in the TV series I then read the book.  Unfortunately the third book is broken up into the 3rd and 4th season so I'm going to have to wait a bit before reading A Storms of Swords.  In any event, I'm psyched for the new season to begin.  And as the interactive viewer that I am I've come up with 5 questions I hope get answered with this season, or before the series is done.

#1) Where is Arya's direwolf, Nymeria?
At the beginning of the series all the Stark children were given direwolves by their father.  The direwolf is the sigil of the Stark House and was seen as a good omen. When Robb Stark died his direwolf, Grey Wind, was killed.  Sansa Stark's direwolf, Lady, was killed by her father; a sacrifice made for Nymeria biting Joffrey and then running off, or chased off, by Arya.  
I love these direwolves.  They are faithful, lovable, killer, best friends for the Starks.  Every one of the direwolves have come in handy and I refuse to believe that the last we see of Nymeria is her running off. I believe Nymeria will return at some point to save Arya, or one of the other Starks.  The ones that are left at least. 
 
#2) Will Cersei actually marry Sir Loras?
In season 3, Tywin Lannister saw the Tyrells make a play of power which he gladly answered back with by trying to wed his son, Tyrion, and his daughter, Cersei.  Tyrion is now married to Sansa Stark with Tywin's hope that it will secure the North for them.  The widow of Robert Baratheon , Cersei, is now set to wed Laros Tyrell just as his sister is set to marry Joffrey and become Queen.  Cersei has stated her displeasure with this decision and believes she can get out of.  Given what I've seen of her character so far I believe her.
My theory is that she is going to have him killed.  This of course will upset the Tyrells and then Kings Landing will all start to fall apart.  Plus, Cersei's brother, and lover, Jaime, is back home now.  So is he just going to let his sister/love marry some boy for his father's political gain?  Plus we all know Loras plays for the other team; if you know what I mean.  I think he'd be happier wedding Jaime than Cersei.

#3) Will Jaime keep his promise and free Sansa?
Something weird happened in season 3 of Game of Thrones; I actually started to like Jaime Lannister.  In fact, in season 3 I started to not hate all the Lannisters, except Joffrey of course.  I saw things from their point of view.  Tywin is trying to secure his families power and legacy and Cersei is just trying to protect her children and herself in this man's world.  
When Catelyn Stark released Jaime she did so on the condition that the Lannister's free her daughters.  Before Jaime left Brienne for Kings Landing, but later came back for her, he promised to help Sansa.  Now that Jaime is back will he make good on his word?  From the season 4 trailers it looks like Jaime Lannister might not be the asshole he was when he left Kings Landing.  This could put him at odds with his sister, father, and everyone he is supposed to be loyal too.

#4)  When will we see Jon Snow's mother?
As Ned Stark was about to part ways with his bastard son, Jon Snow, he vowed he would tell him about his mother next time they met.  Ned Stark was beheaded at Kings Landing before Jon or we found out the origin of Jon's mother.  The reason I'm so interested in her is because this is a woman who made the most noble man in the Realm, Ned Stark, break his marriage vows to Catelyn.  This must have been one hell of a woman!  I think at some point Jon's mother will play a role, just as Jon's part in the story gets bigger and bigger.

#5) When will Daenerys Targaryen reach Westeros?
This 'War of Kings' seems to be coming to an end.  Robb Stark and Renly Baratheon are dead.  Stannis Baratheon has lost a major battle and is trying to regroup.  Meanwhile, Balon Greyjoy is just trying to keep a hold on the North.  It seems Joffrey, or rather Tywin, has almost won.  But we all know it's meaningless.  The Wildlings and White Walkers are coming from the North.  Daenerys Targaryen, along with her army and dragons, are coming from the east; but when?  Will she arrive before the war is over?  She's been heading that way for over two years now. Will she arrive just as the White Walkers do?  Will we have several wars going on at the same time? Who will Daenerys spare when her dragons unleash their fire? 
There is a lot that could come to head at the same time, and if it does it'll be chaos in Westeros.  I am looking forward to it!  It's what keeps the show exciting and what has created legions of fans around the world.  Fans who line-up at 8am on a Sunday morning when it's 30 degrees outside.  
Of course my favorite family is the Starks; mainly because I can relate to them.  They come from a land of honor and civility towards your neighbor; basically describes growing up in the Midwest.  I also have a father who tries to do the right thing so much it can get him into sticky situations.  And also, there are people who live farther north than I grew-up that laugh at how much I think I can withstand the cold.  I feel the same way about people in Texas.  Just remember: The North Will Never Forget!  



No comments:

Post a Comment