Monday, March 3, 2014

My Top 5 Harold Ramis Films


Last night all of Hollywood celebrated the biggest night of the year; The Academy Awards.  This event marks the end of awards season in the land of make-believe with thespians who have had so many plastic surgeries they look like their own wax standees.  Meanwhile, those of us who love movies were also busy for at least four hours watching as 12 Years A Slave ended up winning the Best Picture award; suck it Gravity!  So because I was watching the Oscars last night I didn't get a chance to put out this entry on time, so for those of you who actually read this silly little blog (Mom) I do apologize for the delay.  I had several topics I thought about doing for this week's entry, but the one I felt would be most appropriate would be to talk about the passing of Harold Ramis.  I always thought of Harold Ramis as just Eagon from Ghostbusters.  I knew he directed a few things, but never considered his impact in film until last Monday when I heard of his passing.  I was surprised to find out that Ramis practically invented the Ghostbusters.  He helped write both of the feature films, the video game, and any TV series that had the brand name on it.  Word has it he was in development of Ghostbusters III, but that's supposedly been in the works for over two decades.  
When I ran down the list of films Ramis wrote, or helped write, I realized Ramis had a hand in some of the greatest comedies spanning over three decades.  Also, Bill Murray pretty much owes his career to Ramis, seeing how his most famous films were all written by Ramis.  Murray gave a nod to Ramis last night at The Academy Awards while presenting the award for Best Cinematography. I counted about a dozen of Ramis's films I've thoroughly enjoyed, but I figured I'd narrow it down to just my top five he wrote.

5) Animal House (1978)
Along with Douglas Kenney and Chris Miller, Harold Ramis penned this story about a bunch of frats boys, and will go down in history as one of the ultimate college movies ever.  This film set the bar for many films to come with it's raunchy comedy style, and perhaps showing college students for the idiotic jokesters most of them are.  
After knowing Ramis helped write this film I realizes the style matched up with other films like Stripes and Ghostbusters.  It was a little more rough than Ramis's later works, but a classic none the less.  John Belushi doing his zit gag makes me laugh every time.   

4) Groundhog Day (1993)
Ramis not only co-wrote Groundhog Day with Danny Rubin, but also directed this film, starring his long-time-partner-in-crime; Bill Murray.  Minus a few small Ghostbuster-themed projects this would be the last time Murray and Ramis would work together; a professional relationship that started back in 1979 with Meatballs.  In this film Murray is a cynical weatherman who ends up reliving February 2nd over and over again.  In time, Murray does everything from trying to kill himself in the bathtub with a toaster, stealing the groundhog, and romancing his co-worker, played by Andie MacDowell.  A funny movie that is always good to watch whenever you might be feeling a little blue and realize "it could be worse."

 3) Caddyshack (1980)
Every time I think of this film I can't help but think of all the classic quotes and the Kenny Loggins theme song.  This is another Bill Murray classic that only sees him as a supporting character, but memorable.  To be honest though I love Chevy Chase in this film the most.   
Ramis wrote this little ditty with Brian Doyle-Murray and Douglas Kenney as well has it's 1988 sequel.  Due to the time frame in which I grew up I seemed to watch more of Caddyshack II then the original, but as I grew older I realized how fantastic Caddyshack is, even though I still do appreciate the goofy follow-up.

2) Stripes (1981)
If you haven't seen this film then you should not be allowed to watch another comedy until you do.  Harold Ramis not only wrote this film with Daniel Goldberg and Len Blum, but co-starred with Bill Murray in this hilarious story about two guys who joined the army and the knuckle heads that enlisted with them, including the late John Candy and Judge Reinhold.
This film was directed by Ivan Reitman, who directed Meatballs and both Ghostbuster films, which Murray and Ramis were also involved in.  It doesn't get much better than this folks, but sadly newer generations haven't even seen this well-crafted film that Ramis helped bring to theaters and homes everywhere.

1) Ghostbusters (1984)
Remember when I wrote above "it doesn't get MUCH better?" Well this is that little exception to Stripes. Ramis wrote this imaginative film along with co-star Dan Aykroyd, and Bill Murray also starring.  The three of them are comedy at it's best.  They played their parts perfectly, especially Murray.  This film started a franchise that audiences still can't seem to get enough of.  From this film came a sequel, several cartoons, video games, board games, toys, lunch boxes, and a brand name everyone around the world knows and loves.
Every time I watch this movie I bust up laughing; every time.  This last weekend I went back and re-watched both Ghostbuster films after I heard of Ramis's passing, and I while I was laughing constantly Ramis seemed to deliver some of the best lines.  His character, Eagon, is a serious scientist, and Ramis's delivery of the material he helped write was perfect.  Eagon has a dry sense of humor and a weird view that was hilarious when played against Murray's constant joking and Aykroyd's constant fear.
I love this movie and it makes me so sad that the person who basically created the Ghostbusters is gone.  I think the world is little less funny now that Ramis is gone, but the legacy of laughs he left behind will always be in our thoughts. When I need I laugh, I know who I'm gonna call.

No comments:

Post a Comment