Monday, September 22, 2014

Comic-Related News.....From Last Week

Greetings Muggles!  I'm about to unload on you the comic-related stories from last week that I was most excited to hear about.  I hope you are too!

DEADPOOL MOVIE GETS FAST TRACKED:  Fan boys have been drooling for a Deadpool film for years now, and there has been no bigger advocate than Ryan Reynolds, who played the character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. A recent test footage revealed that a Deadpool movie is in high demand so last week Fox set a Feb 12, 2016 release date for the Deadpool solo film.
To be honest I'm not really a big Deadpool fan.  He's pretty funny, but Marvel waaay overused him when he became popular by putting him in every book; just like they did with Spider-Man and Wolverine.  The Merc with a Mouth is pretty obscene, and pretty violent given that he's a killer assassin.  Some have cried that the film must be rated R for it be done justice.  While I agree with this I don't for a second believe it won't be PG-13 like every other superhero film to bring in the biggest audience/money.
Tim Miller, who directed the test footage, is also on board to direct the film.  No word if Reynolds will reprise his role as Wade Wilson, but seeing how he also starred in the "leaked" test footage I'm sure it's only a matter of weeks before he is announced.  I'm just disappointed my favorite part of the character will probably be not mentioned in the film; the public mistaking him for Spider-Man because of their similar costume styles.  Below is a link to the Deadpool test footage on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CphFZGH5030

SUPERGIRL TV SERIES FLIES OVER TO CBS: A few weeks ago it was reported that Arrow and The Flash co-creator, Greg Berlanti, was developing a Supergirl TV series.  It appears CBS has picked up the series, which kind of surprised me.  Given that Berlanti was advocating this series I figured it'd end up on The CW with his other shows.  I'm sure we all even hoped it would help expand the DC/CW television universe even more.
I'm curious to see how this series will go given that there have been many different interpretation of the character since her appearance in 1959.  My favorite has been the version introduced by Jeph Loeb in 2004.  I will admit though I have yet to read the New 52 version since I'm not a fan of the current handling of Superman via New 52.  Either way, I'm just happy to see more comic book characters making their way onto more screens.

JARVIS ADDED TO AGENT CARTER:  We have to wait quite a few more months to see Hayley Atwell reprise her role as Agent Peggy Carter but we have learned that she'll be joined by Jarvis!  No, not Tony Starks artificial intelligence, the real Jarvis.  Actor James D'Arcy will play Edwin Jarvis, who, in the comics, was Tony Stark's butler but replaced by a machine in the films.  This kind of gives you the feeling that J.A.R.V.I.S. might have been help created by Edwin or perhaps leaves quite the impression on the right people to name a sophisticated computer program after him.
I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I quit watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. after three episodes.  I am, however, excited for Agent Carter because I really like the character.  We learned that in Captain America: The Winter Soldier Peggy helped start S.H.I.E.L.D. so I'm hoping that's what this show is all about.
 

SCOTT GLENN IS STICK: Remember the wise old man from Sucker Punch?  Well now he's play the wise old blind man in Netflix's upcoming Daredevil series.  Scott Glenn will play Stick, the sensei who teaches Matt Murdock to not only live with being blind, but use it as a weapon to fight crime.
I'm psyched for not only Daredevil, but what Marvel Studios is doing with Netflix as well.  Producers and film makers promise this will be a grittier and more dark Marvel world than the films.  I'm a fan of Daredevil and Iron Fist so I can't wait to see this all come out!

AMANDA PAYS RETURNS TO THE FLASH: I remember as a kid watching the 1990 Flash TV series.  I was too young to realize how campy it was but I remember Luke Skywalker played a villain.  In any event, I'm anxiously waiting for the new Flash series that premieres in less than a month, and glad to see the original Flash, John Wesley Shipp, will be on the show playing Barry Allen's father.  Now, another Flash alumni has just been added.  Amanda Pays will return to play Dr. Tina McGee.
In the comics Tina was around during the early Wally West days.  But in the 1990 series she helped Barry discover his powers and the gave him the means to use them to help rid Central City of bad guys.  Word has it instead of working for S.T.A.R. Labs though like in 1990 series she'll be working for a company competing against S.T.A.R. Labs in the new show.  Either way, I'm happy to see familiar faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment