Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Marvel's 'New Hope' With Star Wars

I remember when I was a child my father used to take me and my brother to the comic book store every Saturday morning.  We both used to pick out an issue of our favorite Marvel or DC hero.  However, one Saturday, I ended up picking out something different.  It was a new mini-series called Star Wars: Dark Empire.  I didn't know it at the time, but this was the first non-Marvel Star Wars comic book ever published.  Dark Horse comics would remain the sole distributor of Star Wars comic books for over two decades; until today.
When Disney bought Lucasfilm back in 2012 every Star Wars fan knew what the logical change would be for Star Wars comics.  Disney also owned Marvel, a comic book publishing company, so there was no need for Star Wars to continue to be made at Dark Horse.  I was a little saddened by this.  I had grown up reading Star Wars comic books, brought to me by the lovely writers and artists at Dark Horse comics.  But then I thought of the benefits.  Some of favorite Marvel writers like Brian Michael Bendis, Jeph Loeb, or Mark Waid would be writing the adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia.  Star Wars comics could be as detailed and complex as Avengers vs. X-Men or Civil War.
Well, today Star Wars #1 came out.  In a few months Marvel also plans to roll out several mini-series featuring Darth Vader and Princess Leia as well.  To be honest this comic didn't even cross my mind today, but then I got a text from my brother.  He's not a big Star Wars fan like me, but he commented on how he had just read the issue and loved it.  I then knew I had to check it out.  Being a father I didn't have time to go to my local comic shop and indulge in what I'm sure was Star Wars hysteria.  But when I got home I paid the five dollars to read the digital copy on my tablet.
As I flipped my finger through the screens I saw "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" and then STAR WARS.  It was almost as beautiful as seeing the words on the screen with The Force Awakens trailer.  As my finger continued to progress I saw the traditional opening crawl explaining the synopsis, followed by a a ship coming overhead.  I knew then this comic was going to get it right.  
In the first issue Han, Leia, and Luke are on a mission to shut down an Imperial manufacturing plant.  Han took the lead, Chewie was on sniper duty, and Threepio was back in the Falcon ready to swoop in for the rescue.  As always with out heroes, the plan goes awry and soon Darth Vader shows up ending this first issue with what looks like a showdown with Luke Skywalker.  
It's been a long time since I read a single issue comic book. I'm used to reading graphic novels so this seemed a bit short to me, and got cut-off right before it was going to get good.  I know writer Jason Aaron from his run on Wolverine and the X-Men and I was quite impressed how well he handles these characters.  The dialogue seems to flow, and the team seems to be right where they should be post-Episode IV.  Luke his fumbling through his rookie Jedi skills, Leia waste no thought on trying to take out Vader after his part in Alderaan's destruction, and Han's motives for staying with the Rebellion are still allusive.  
I've admired Cassaday's art ever since Astonishing X-Men and loved the full page splashes of Luke having just cut off someone's hand, Vader making his entrance, and Han thinking he can escape in an AT-AT. I only hope that Joss Whedon gets a crack at this, or another Star Wars comic series, some day.  The issue was full of puns reverting back to Star Wars lore.  My only question is if Threepio will actually pick-up the blaster in the Falcon's cock pit and use it.
I wasn't drooling over this issue when it was done, but I thought it definitely had more potential then a similar series Dark Horse tried to put out a few years ago.  If you like Star Wars, comic books, or both, I recommend it.  However, like most comics today, I'm gonna wait for the trade paperback.  Until then, May The Force Be With Us All.



No comments:

Post a Comment