Saturday, January 17, 2015

My 2014 Geek Nominees

A few days ago the 87th Academy Award nominees were announced.  I've been watching the Oscars as far back as I could remember. My family would always take a night off from our annual spring break trip to Daytona Beach and watch the golden statues get passed out.  As I've gotten older I seem to have watched more of the pictures nominated and less nominees of the MTV Movie Awards.
However, the comic geek inside of me is still conflicted with the lack of genre films nominated; aside from just Best Visual Effects.  If anything, 2014 proved comic book and fantasy films can be just as well produced and compelling as anything David Fincher directs.  So I decided to put together my own nominees I felt could have been nominated for Academy Awards.  Chances are the average theater viewer has seen more of these films than those nominated for Oscars.  Plus, I added a few of my own categories.  
In the following weeks I'll be posting these on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram page.  People should feel free to comment on their choices for each category, or feel free to add any "geek" movie you feel I left out.  
DISCLAIMER: I only based this on movies I've seen in 2014, which is why movies like Interstellar or The Interview are left out of certain categories.    

BEST MOVIE
(saw at least twice in theaters)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Big Hero 6
  
 

BEST ACTOR
(person you wish you were as cool as)
Chris Evans (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
James McAvoy (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy)
Michael Fassbender (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
Caesar (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes)

BEST ACTRESS
(person you wish your girlfriend was as cool as)
Scarlett Johansson (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
Zoe Saldana (Guardians of the Galaxy)
Jennifer Lawrence (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
Emily Blunt (Edge of Tomorrow)
Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt.1)

FUNNIEST MOVIE
(couldn't stop grinning the whole movie)
The LEGO Movie
22 Jump Street
Neighbors
Let's Be Cops
That Awkward Moment
  
 

BEST VILLAIN
(made you want to reach into the screen and kick some ass)
Robert Redford (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
The Sentinels (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
Koba (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes)
Jackie Earle Haley (Robocop)
Eva Green (Sin City:A Dame To Kill For)

BEST ACTION SEQUENCE
(made you say, "sweeeeet")
Highway Fight (Captain America: The Winter Solider)
The Sentinels Kill Everyone (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
ED-209's vs Alex Murphy (Robocop)
John Wick "Kills It" at the Night Club (John Wick)
The 6 Save San Fransokyo (Big Hero 6)

WORST MOVIE
(wish you could have a lobotomy to forget)
I, Frankenstein
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
  
 




No comments:

Post a Comment