Monday, May 19, 2014

Re-Casting X-Men

In a few days audiences around the world will be watching X-Men: Days of Future Past in hopes that it reinvigorates the X-Men franchise.  DOFP is a collaboration with the cast from previous X-Men films that started the series, and actors of the more recent X-Men: First Class.  Director Bryan Singer says this film will right the wrongs in the franchise(mainly those created in X3) and Singer has already signed on to direct the sequel, X-Men: Apocalypse.  Hugh Jackman believes Apocalypse will be his last X-Men film before he hands off the role of Wolverine to someone else after almost twenty years of playing the character!
Since I'm such a big X-Men fan I've also been a huge advocate against some the original X-Men (female) casting choices.  However, the First Class crew was great and the younger X-members like Iceman, Rogue, and Kitty are good enough actors to play their parts at least a few more times.  But if Jackman is out for this next era of X-Men films I say the entire original team should be re-cast.  And I've assembled a squad that would be great together!

SCOTT PORTER AS SCOTT SUMMERS/CYCLOPS
I was a fan of James Marsden as Cyclops and I hope the rumors of him making an appearance in Days of Future Past are true.  Cyclops came off horribly in previous X-Men films, basically just there as "the jealous boyfriend" when Slim is so much more.  Just ask any X-Men comic book reader.  Cyclops is the X-Men!
If another actor has to step in and fill Marsden's shoes I feel that Scott Porter is one who can fill them nicely.  He's got the good guy role down with parts in Friday Night Lights and Speed Racer.  He can play a leader, and has the All-American look to him. I believes he'd mesh well the the other actors I've chosen and would look pretty cool with a red visor.

EMILY BLUNT AS JEAN GREY/MARVEL GIRL/THE PHOENIX
In an X-Men movie I think the casting of Jean Grey is waaaaay more important than the casting of Cyclops or even Wolverine.  She's the object of both their affection.  An actress who plays Jean has to make it seem like she'd be good with either of the those two heroes.  Famke Janssen was a HORRIBLE casting in my opinion.  She had no quality that said, "the girl next door," which is what Jean Grey is.
It's all in Emily Blunt's face.  She has a sweet face, but also probably has a scowl that could destroy an entire solar system!  Her role in The Adjustment Bureau made me believe she can act, and her role in The Five-Year Engagement made me believe she can be likable. I'm curious to see how her new film, Edge of Tomorrow, will be.  But it's got Tom Cruise in it and looks like a rip-off of Source Code so I'm gonna skip it; no offense Ms. Blunt. 

TOM HARDY AS LOGAN/WOLVERINE
Hugh Jackman first popped onto the screen as Wolverine in 2000.  Days of Future Past will be Jackman's seventh time playing the character in fourteen years!  It's a cinematic record, and hard to imagine anyone else playing the role.  
I think Jackman as Wolverine was one of the best superhero/comic book castings ever!  The only tiny issue I had was Jackman's height.  He is 6 '1 while Logan is barely 5 '8.  Tom Hardy is 5 '9.  This is closer to Wolverine's actual height.  Hardy is now one of the most sought after actors in Hollywood with his roles in films like Warrior and The Dark Knight Rises.  There is no denying his talent and toughness.  I would give this casting six claws up!

YAYA ALAFIA AS ORORO MONROE/STORM
When I first heard Days of Future Past was in production my hope was that Hallie Berry was not going to reprise her role as Storm.  There were reports of her disagreements with Bryan Singer on the first few X-Men films and her demand for a bigger part in X3 or she wouldn't be in the film.  I think her role as Storm has been one of the worst in superhero/comic book films!  Storm is one of the strongest female characters in fiction.  At one point she defeated Cyclops in battle for leadership of the X-Men.  And Berry can't even hold down a decent African accent for one film.
My first thought in Storm's re-casting was the Oscar winning actress, Lupita Nyong'o.  However, once I thought of the other re-casts I chose I didn't think Lupita fit with the other actors.  Yaya Alafia has had a lot of small roles in good films like The Kids Are Alright and The Butler.  She's no doubt got the look to play Storm, and from her small roles has proven she's got the talent.  I think it's time to let this actress light up.

ALEXANDER SKARSGARD AS VICTOR CREDD/SABERTOOTH
I thought Liev Schreiber played Sabertooth quite well in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.  However, it was a horrible film that no one should ever watch....ever. Meanwhile, Tyler Mane in the original X-Men movie came off more as just an enforcer with no brains.  If the two performances were combined it would make a character that I believe would rival Magneto as a villian, or even Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight!
Alexander Skarsgard is most known for his role as Eric in HBO's True Blood, and it's that character that makes me believe he can do a very good Sabertooth.  He may have to beef up a little but when I imagine him and Tom Hardy not only facing off, but trading dialogue, it makes me a little excited.  I think Skarsgard would make Sabertooth actually memorable for once.



No comments:

Post a Comment