Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Favorite Comic Book Film Chemistry

This weekend I, like many others in this country, went to go see The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in theaters.  I'm not a big Spider-Man fan, and I really didn't like The Amazing Spider-Man as compared to the previous Sam Raimi films.  As far as rating AS2 I give it a C-.  It had a lot of flaws in it, but the most redeeming quality was the love story between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy.  The real-life actors are actually dating and you can see the chemistry between them on screen that really helped with their performances.
This got me thinking about on-screen chemistry.  I think it can make or break a film, specifically in the superhero/comic book genre.  I couldn't think of many couples that are good, but the ones that did worked seemed to sizzle on screen.  And some of them aren't even love interests.

5) Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone  (The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2)
Like I mentioned above, these two saved The Amazing Spider-Man 2 from being a complete waste of time and talent. The scenes between them seemed very genuine.  If I didn't know that they were already a real-life couple I would definitely be on board for them hooking up.
Not to spoil anything, but if you've seen the movie or read the Spider-Man comics you know Peter and Gwen's relationship does not end well.  I knew from Gwen's graduation speech at the beginning of the film she was not going to make it out alive.  The whole film built to that moment and when it came Garfield's performance was the best I've ever seen him.  You felt his sadness and felt like he didn't have to dig too deep to imagine the pain of losing his Emma Stone.  Without their chemistry in the 3rd film I don't know how the franchise will thrive.

4) James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class)
It takes a lot of skill for actors to try and portray a life-long friendship.  Especially one that is as complicated as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr.  But it might be even harder to portray that friendship at the beginning; knowing how it'll end.  McAvoy and Fassbender are already good actors, but together they are great.  
My favorite scenes in First Class were the moments when it was just the two of them.  Their yin and yang view points played perfectly on-screen.  I've never been more interested in watching two people play chess.  I'm can't wait for that chemistry to continue in the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past.

3) Chris Evans and Anthony Mackie (Captain America: The Winter Solider)
Every once and a while you get a bromance that you know will last a lifetime, or at least 3 or 4 films until the actors contracts are up.  Evans and Mackie just seem to click from the film's first scene.  I even choose this relationship over Evans and Scarlett Johansson's, and those two have worked on multiple films together.  
In the film, both of their characters had lost their wing man, and by the end they each knew, along with the audience, that they had found a new one.  Both Steve and Sam have a strong sense of duty and bravery.  These guys are like two peas in a pod, and it plays off perfectly thanks to the actors playing them.  I can't wait for a third Captain America film to see Cap and Falcon back in action together!

2) Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen (X-Men, X2, & X3)
I'm not sure how well these two knew each other before they signed on to play mortal enemies/best friends in X-Men, but ever since their real-life bromance has become legendary.  From their first scene on-screen together back in 2000 you could feel the energy between them.  They're both classically trained actors and it takes such an actor to play characters worthy of Shakespeare. 
Now you can see them all over social media hanging out.  It makes me wish I could hang out with them too.  Professionally, they been in several plays together and they're both coming back to reprise their roles as Xavier and Magneto in X-Men: Days of Future Past.  I think this is a bromance will stand the test of time.

 1) Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow (Iron Man 1, 2, & 3)
Downey as Tony Stark is one of the greatest casting choices in the history of film!  He makes the audience love that character and steals every scene he is in.  This can make it difficult to find a good counter-part to Stark, but when the people at Marvel Studio saw Downey and Paltrow test screen together they must have shed tears of joy.   
Pepper Potts never let's Tony get away with anything and always has a come-back to combat Tony's boyish charms.  Their rapore is thee highlight of the Iron Man franchise, and their one scene together in The Avengers is one my favorites.  These two definitely need to work together again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment