Sunday, May 25, 2014

CW's 'The Flash' Can Not Get Here Quick Enough

Being that I'm an open comic book fan I occasionally get the question every fan boy gets, "Who's you're favorite superhero?"  For any true believer it's a loaded question.  I personally kind of have a Top 5 list, with the 5th spot always rotating depending on my mood and who's writing what at that present time.  I really liked Green Lantern when Geoff Johns was writing the book, and nobody does Captain America better than Ed Brubaker.  As for my other four spots,  everyone knows I'm a rabid X-Men and Superman fan.  And because I'm a swimmer I've also always had an affinity for Aquaman.  But my 4th spot goes to The Flash.  
I've kind of always assumed my love of The Flash came from the idea that I've always been compared to him.  I was the kind of kid who couldn't sit still, even in my sleep. During my teenage years I was always rushing from one thing to the next, and in my later years of college my nickname was "Impulse".  You'll have to ask my friends Albert and Andrew about that one.  I also remember watching The Flash TV series back in the 90's starring John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen and Mark Hamill as The Trickster.
Growing up in the 1990's Wally West was The Flash so I never really knew Barry Allen.  In 2009, writer Geoff Johns brought back Barry in Flash: Rebirth (or technically Final Crisis) after a 20-year absence from comics.  Again, I never knew Barry, but I immediately grew fond of him.  Of course it's hard not to love any character Johns writes.  This last year Barry Allen appeared on an episode of Arrow and now he's getting his own spin-off on The CW this Fall.  A little over a week ago an extended trailer for the series was released, and I can't stop watching it!
The show will star Grant Gustin, who I had never seen in anything before his appearance on Arrow.  His 2-episode arc made me like Gustin as Barry, but the extended trailer has me excited to see him play The Flash.  John Wesley Shipp is even making an appearance as Barry's dad!  In Barry's origin story his father is framed for his mother's murder and Barry spends his life trying to prove his dad's innocence, which puts him in the Central City crime lab when he is struck by lightning.  
Gustin will be surrounded by an array of supporting cast.  Catlin Snow, Cisco Ramon, and Eddie Thawne are all characters appearing in the series, and all end up becoming villains in the comic books.  Relative unknown, Candice Patton, will play Iris West, Barry's future wife in the comics.  However, it appears in the series they're just friends(for now). But, if you follow The New 52(ugh) then he and Iris are just friends(for now).  Tom Cavanagh and Jesse L. Martin are the veterans who I believe will compliment this young ensemble nicely.
What really gets me excited about this series is how much it feels like The Flash.  It appears that they got the origin right; which I hope they don't give away the twist too soon in the series.  The special effects look cool, and the poses we see in the extended trailer look like they jumped right out of the comic books.  Finally, I like Grant Gustin.  Barry has this high sense of morality that makes him seem a little naive and I think Gustin plays it perfectly.  
Being that I've read quite a few Flash comic books I'm excited for where this show can go.  Eventually, Barry's friends could become his enemies, his best friend could become his wife, and SPOILER, he'll learn that his mother's death could be his fault!  But I'm getting a head of myself.  I hope they hold out that last one until at least the season 2 finale.
Now, remember, The Flash is also a spin-off of Arrow, and we can already see from the extended trailer Oliver Queen shows up for a visit, which probably won't be his last.  Given my disappointment with how Warner Bros is handling the DC cinematic universe I'm more hopeful for it's television universe.  I know their is no possibility of Barry showing up in Gotham on Fox, but if Hal Jordan popped up in Arrow or The Flash I may just have a nerd-gasm. And if you ask my friend Albert we're both praying hard for a Tom Welling visit.
If I were running The CW I would do a special airing of The Flash about a month or so before the actual Fall premiere just to get the buzz going.  But, until then, it looks like I'll just have to watch this trailer a couple dozen more times and hope that at some point we see Barry's costume pop out of his ring! Now that would definitely make me have a nerd-gasm!

No comments:

Post a Comment