Sunday, August 17, 2014

Growing Up with Robin Williams

This past Monday the world was rocked with the passing of actor Robin Williams.  At age 63, we all know Williams still had some great performances left him, which makes his tragic suicide that more saddening.  I don't know one person on social media who did not comment about this event, and almost a week later people are still sending their love to his family and talking about how much he meant to them.  I myself could not even begin to fathom the influence Williams has had on my life.  In fact, the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much I owe to Robin Williams.
As a child, two of my favorite animated films, even still to this day, are Aladdin and Ferngully: The Last Rainforest.  Williams provided his voice for characters in both of these films and it was his comedic wit that helped make those film so memorable and iconic.  He also paved the way for well-known actors to lend their voices to animated films.  I still remember seeing those films in theater, along with a another childhood favorite of mine; Hook.  I'm a fan of the Peter Pan tale, and director Steven Spielberg brought a new spin on the mythology with Williams as the lead.  The film had some laughs in it, but Williams played a more straight-laced character, but still delighted us and made us believe in magic.
Other films I remember fondly from my childhood are Jumanji and Mrs. Doubtfire. But as I entered my teen years my taste in films began to change.  To this day, one of my favorite coming-of-age films is Dead Poets Society.  In it, Williams played an excentric teacher at a stuffy prep school that taught his students to think for themselves, realize their dreams, and live life to the fullest.  Another film I discovered as a teenager was Good Morning Vietnam.  Of course this film showcased what Robin Williams did best; bring light to a dark place.  During my adolescence Williams also made a film about the difficulties of growing-up; Jack.  In it, Williams played a 10-year-old who looked 40 because of a rare aging disease.  He had to act like a child with all their innocence, fear, and confusion as to how the world works.  I think it's one of his best performances, aside for the film he won an Oscar for; Good Will Hunting.  Williams starred opposite Hollywood rookies Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and finally claimed the golden statue.  Good Will Hunting is one of those films that gets better and better every time I watch it.  
As a young adult the films I watched Williams in seemed to get even more mature.  He was phenomenal in Patch Adams as, again, playing a character who brings joy to those who have little.  Williams even stepped out of his normal type casting to play dark villains in films like Insomnia and One Hour Photo.  In Bicentennial Man Williams played a robot who taught us about being human, and it turned out to be a wonderful little film.
As the years have passed I've enjoyed seeing Williams return to comedy with films like RV, Night at the Museum, and License to Wed.  And thanks to my wife I've started to have a fondness for a film I never really payed attention to when it was released; The Birdcage.  Last year Williams returned to television in a CBS show called The Crazy Ones.  The series only last one season, but I was anxious to watch it when it came to DVD.  I have a feeling I'm not the only one now.
There are a dozen other films I could recommend, from Popeye to August Rush, that made me love Robin Williams.  Though he lost his battle with depression I hope he was aware of the joy he brought to myself and so many others.  He made me dream when I was a child, think when I was an adolescence, and as an adult, realize we all have many different sides to us.  I know people who are re-watching some of their favorite Robin Williams films, but I'm waiting till next month to view my own favorite films of his; from his oldest to his newest.  So far I've counted 25 films I want to watch, including Robin Williams: Live on Broadway. And I'm going to soak in each performance like I never have before.  So thank you Robin Williams.  We'll never have a friend like you again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment