Sunday, August 31, 2014

Finally, A 'Flash' of Hope

It's been about three years now since DC Comics implemented their New 52 style and turned off fans like myself who have been loyal readers all their lives.  Your see, back in 2011, DC re-booted their universe.  They broke up several relationships and hit the 'restart' button on quite a bit of continuity.  Since then I've had a hard time getting into a lot of what DC publishes.  I still enjoy Green Lantern and Batman titles, but I can't stand anything Superman and Green Arrow.  
The Flash has been a title that seems interesting, but I've been having a hard time connecting with.  When Geoff Johns wrote the book and Francis Manapul did the art I couldn't get enough of it, but ever since Manapul took over writing duties as well I haven't really liked The Flash.  Last night, I sat down to read volume 4; Reverse.  And I must say I actually liked it.  
This book introduces us to The New 52's Reverse Flash.  Eobard Thawne is a man from the future who recreated the experimented that turned Barry Allen into the Flash and ended up becoming Barry's mortal enemy; the Reverse Flash.  Not to give too much away, but Thawne is not The New 52's Reverse Flash; at least not yet.
Someone is going around killing people who have been inside the Speed Force, the energy source that gives the Flash his powers.  Barry must rush to find the killer before the last two targets are hit; himself and Iris West.  This leads Flash to cross paths with Kid Flash for the first time, and finds out the kid's powers don't come from the Speed Force like his.  Meanwhile, Barry has just moved in with his girlfriend, Patty.  And she's throwing her parents an anniversary party.  In typical superhero fashion, the Flash has to be quick enough to find the bad guy, and make it to the party on time.
If I had it my way Geoff Johns would go on writing The Flash for ten years like he did Green Lantern.  As an artist I really like Manapul.  I think his style is perfect for the Flash.  Just something about it fits uniquely into this world and it just gels.  I also like Manapul's New 52 Flash costume.  It's more pieces of armor that are electrifying rather than stretchy spandex. But story wise I feel like Manapul's tales about the Scarlet Speedster so far have been so impersonal.  While Barry has had to save his loved ones from danger there was no inner turmoil.  In Flash: Rebirth Barry has to realize he needs to slow down enough to enjoy life with his family and friends.  Manapul has yet to go that deep of a level. But in this volume Barry has to fight a villain who is using the powers he creates to kill people. It's not Johns deep, but at least it's getting under the surface.
When The New 52 started I hated the break-up of Barry and Iris almost as much as the Clark and Lois break-up.  This book is the first time I've actually liked them being apart.  Barry has moved in with Patty and she knows his secret.  They're getting serious.  But also, the Flash has to protect Iris, which makes him spend more time with Iris than Patty at a crucial point in their relationship.  A short tale at the end of the book takes us to past.  More specific; Gotham City. Barry is a young intern and meets Iris on a case.  Before parting ways Iris and Barry kiss.  This establishes a connection the two of them have even in The New 52, and makes you question if things will go south with Barry's current significant other.  In short, it ups the stakes in Barry Allen's life outside of the Flash.
The reason I'm not a big Batman fan is because most of his stories are just about him solving the crime.  When the hero is tested on a personal and internal level it makes the story better in my opinion.  That's what I felt like this book did.  It dug deeper than we've gotten so far into Barry's life, and let us know that things may not be as stable as they seem.  For the first time in a while, I'm excited to read the next volume of The Flash

No comments:

Post a Comment