Monday, October 6, 2014

A New Dawn for Star Wars with 'Rebels'

Let me start out by saying I meant to finish the lead-in novel, Star Wars: A New Dawn, before watching Star Wars: Rebels.  I'm about halfway through the book but I just couldn't wait to see this series. And now, I can't wait to finish A New Dawn.  Rebels is the first piece of Star Wars to come out under the new banner.  It gives us a glimpse as to what Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm, and Disney, has in store for the future of Star Wars.
Star Wars: Rebels takes place five years before Episode IV, or fourteen years after Episode III, which is exactly how old our main character is; Ezra.  Ezra comes off as a real "Aladdin" type who doesn't have much, and stole to get what he has. He runs into the crew of the Ghost in the middle of a job and soon he's on their ship being chased by TIE fighters.  Ezra then learns that his new companions are more than simple smugglers, and that maybe he might just fit in with this misfit group of rebels.
The first episode titled, Spark of Rebellion, is out on DVD as a one shot, and if I had to put it against The Clone Wars theatrical movie I'd choose Rebels.  I enjoyed The Clone Wars as a whole, but this series takes us back to what a lot of us first loved about Star Wars; the space adventures of an unlikely team.  It also seemed, that as I watched the pilot episode, I kept getting a pleasant Guardians of the Galaxy and Firefly feel to this series.
Former 90's teen star (and Mr. Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Freddie Prince Jr,  leads this voice cast as Kanan, captain of the Ghost and Jedi-in-hiding.  Kanan recognizes Ezra's Force potential and offers to train him in the ways of The Force.  These two seem like what we all wanted Obi-Wan and Anakin to be in the prequels; a rugged Jedi and his rebellious padawan.  In fact, the entire episode I kept thinking, "why couldn't Anakin be like this in Episode I?".  By the end of the pilot Kanan has been publicly outed as a Jedi and now a dark figure is about to be on his tail.  There have been rumors about Jedi hunters in Episode VII, and this looks like exactly what The Inquisitor may be.
From the first sound of TIE fighters flying by to the score of Binary Sunset playing at the end I was enticed to learn more about these new characters.  With Episode VII edging closer to theaters I think Rebels will be a nice appetite filler for us uber-Star Wars fans till Christmas 2015.  Now if you'll excuse me I have a book to finish because I really want to know just what Kanan and Hera's relationship is.  May The Force be with us all! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment