Tuesday, October 7, 2014

'The Flash' Peeks At The Finish Line From The Starting Line

After months of waiting The Flash finally premiered tonight on The CW.  I've spent the last few days browsing through some of my Flash graphic novels, mostly those written by Geoff Johns.  I also hopped on YouTube to catch some clips of Grant Gustin on season 2 of Arrow, which full episodes become available on Netflix tomorrow.  I've enjoyed watching Arrow the last few years, and being that the Flash is one of my favorite superheroes I was more than psyched for tonight's pilot.
Barry Allen is a forensic assistant for the Central City Police Department.  When Barry was 11-years-old his mother was murdered and his father was convicted for it.  But Barry saw something that night; something he can't explain.  Fast forward to present day and Barry wakes up from a 9 month coma after being struck by lightening.  He has super healing and super speed, but Barry's not the only guy in town with impossible abilities.  Barry must enlist the help of his S.T.A.R. Labs cohorts to stop a man who can control the weather. 
Tonight's episode was allegedly an extended edition of the pilot.  I hope that extended part was the first five minutes, because it was the worst part about the whole episode.  Those five minutes set-up Barry's life pre-powers.  I can see why this might help someone who is not familiar with Flash, or didn't see Grant Gustin on Arrow.  However, almost everything in those minutes were either repeated or not necessary.  When I re-watch this episode I'm doing the 2-part arch on Arrow and then start with Barry waking up; like the series should have.
Now that I have my gripe out of the way; I LOVED IT!!!  Gustin played a young Barry perfectly, but I already had faith in him after his guest starring role on Arrow.  His relationship with not only Iris, but all the other characters, seemed to click.  Barry has always been a comic book character who is hopeful.  While Warner Bros is setting up all the DC films to be all the same tone I'm glad to see that show creators, Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti, know Barry is a totally different person from Oliver Queen.  Therefore we know this will be a totally different show than Arrow.
The episode is laced with Easter eggs. WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.  The most obvious is that the man who played Barry Allen on television 20 years ago,  John Wesley Shipp, is now playing Barry's dad.  As Barry and Harrison walk through S.T.A.R. Labs we see a busted cage labeled "GRODD."  This references Gorilla Grodd, a long-time villain of the Flash who is a giant, intelligent, ape.  I smell a Flash/Planet of the Apes crossover joke somewhere in there. We also meet a lot of characters from the comic book series, and being privileged to know their supposed fates, I can't wait to see it unfold.  However, the best surprise was the final scene.
A paralyzed Dr. Harrison Wells enters a room, but then walks over to a digital newspaper from ten years into the future headlining a Wayne Tech/ Queen Industries merger, but also a Flash death via 'Crisis.' In Crisis on Infinite Earths, Barry Allen sacrifices himself to save all of reality.  It's one of the most iconic moments in comic book history, and something that would not be rectified until Barry's return in Final Crisis over two decades later.  This says to me that not only will this show stay true to the Flash mythology, but that they've already got their series ending planned out should the series go ten seasons like Smallville.
The Flash pilot seems to be a great jump-start to this series.  I like the tone, the effects, and so far, the actors.  As Barry explores his powers he'll find out that he can not only phase through solid objects, but also travel through time.  This power will eventually help him solve his mother's murder.  The show's possibilities, like Barry's powers, are limitless.  Now I am only praying we get a Arrow/Flash Justice League episode(s) in a few years.  As of right now I feel like it'll be way more interesting than whatever Zach Snyder has planned.


No comments:

Post a Comment