Wednesday, November 5, 2014

'Birdman' Soars High on Performances

Michael Keaton is my Batman.  For today's generation when they think 'Batman' they probably think of Christian Bale.  For my father, Adam West might come to mind.  But I remember when I was young I saw Batman Returns in the theater.  Ever since then I've rooted for this actor to succeed.  I loved him in Multiplicity, The Paper, even when he played the president in First Daughter.  Well now, this Dark Knight is back; in a big way!
In the new film by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Keaton plays a former cinematic icon who has fallen from grace and is looking to rise up again.  Riggan Thomas, played by Keaton, is revising a classic Broadway show thinking it'll be his rebirth, and his last shot at fame and fortune.  But to get there he has to deal with his detoxing daughter, his pregnant girlfriend, an arrogant actor, and the voice inside of his head saying he's worthless.  
Keaton is in talks for a possible Oscar nomination for this role and I believe he may not be the only one.  Edward Norton and Emma Stone in their supporting roles bring a level that makes me think they might get some acting nominations as well.  The best performance for me though came from Zach Galifinakis, because for once he wasn't playing his type-casted Hangover character.  His role was serious, animated, and showed me that Galifinakis can be a good actor if he steps outside the comfort zone Hollywood has put him in.
Truth be told, this isn't my kind of movie.  It's a little too weird for my taste.  But, with that said, I can still appreciate what Inarritu has done, and the performances he has gotten out of his cast.  For instance, I see why the director chose to do a tracking shot for most of the film, but it kind of made me a little motion sick.  I had to close my eyes every once and a while just to regain my composure. 
As a film I can see this one making waves and being admired for what it is, but I'll admit it; my taste is more simple.  I liked the performances, the style, and the constant question as to whether Thomas is crazy or actually has some kind of super powers, but it wasn't enough to make me love the film.  Don't worry though.  Should Keaton get a nomination I'll be there cheering on my Batman.  However, I hear the Prince of Persia has a given a good performance this year too.   

RATING: C

No comments:

Post a Comment