Monday, November 24, 2014

The First Part of 'Mockingjay' Leaves My Appetite "Hungry" For More

"You should read the books." This a phrase my wife has told me for the past few years any time we watch a film from The Hunger Games franchise.  I've always responded, "if I read the books it'll spoil the movie."  With that said, this weekend I went to see the third installment in The Hunger Game films; Mockingjay- Part 1.
It picks up right where Catching Fire left off.  Katniss is in District 13 after her home, District 12, was destroyed by President Snow and the Capital.  The rebellion has started and Katniss must become the battle call or it will fail.  But all Katniss wants to do is rescue Peeta.  However, Peeta is busy being used by the other team as propaganda against the rebels.  Katniss must decide if she can put her personal feelings aside and is ready become the Mockingjay the world needs her to be.
The title in the film has a "Part 1" to it and it shows. It just seems incomplete.  Much like the seventh Harry Potter film, and almost every Hobbit movie, you get the feeling that the meat of the story is yet to be told.  As part of a continuation of the two previous films I think it works quite well.  But as a stand-alone film it is very different, and less kid-friendly, from it's predecessors.  
Jennifer Lawrence has really grown into this role as she keeps getting better at it.  In fact, all of the actors in the franchise seem to be getting better.  The best delight was Elizabeth Banks as Effie.  The character is completely out of her element, so watching her use her high class charms in a military estate is quit interesting.  The first half of the movie I also felt like Gale was just going to do nothing but stand beside Katniss and not say a word.  But towards the end he found his niche as part of the team trusted to bring back Peeta.
Speaking which, the weakest part of the film, and of the whole franchise in my opinion, has been Peeta.  I'm not blaming Josh Hutcherson for his acting abilities.  I think the character was always just a waste.  I don't see what Katniss sees in this useless person, and her affection for him makes me dislike her every time she shows concern.  For gods sake woman, mini-Thor is standing right beside you!  Meanwhile, the additions of Julianne Moore and Natalie Dormer more than make up for anything lacking in other performances; which their really aren't any.
I applaud the director, Francis Lawrence, for gracefully continuing the progression of Katniss and this tale.  I've been so satisfied knowing nothing about the novels.  Lawrence has created a world where, at several points in the movie, I was on the edge of my seat wondering if certain characters were about to meet their doom.  
Mockingjay- Part 2 will come out next year and then The Hunger Games will be complete.  However, like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, I'm sure Hollywood will find some way to do a spin-off or prequel to get as much water from this well until it has long dried up.  I'm anxious for the final film to come out so that we all can look at the saga as a whole.  While this piece of the puzzle is a bit lacking, I do believe it will serve the purpose in the grander scheme of things and fit perfectly.
Rating: B-


No comments:

Post a Comment