Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Casting Call: My Captain Marvel Mistresses

Last month Marvel Studios released the schedule for their Phase 3 movies.  Among them were stand-alone Black Panther and Captain Marvel films.  The king of Wakanda has already been cast, which means all the current gossip is about who will play the former Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers.
Danvers was a N.A.S.A. security officer who had worked in the Air Force and C.I.A. The original Captain Marvel, or Mar-Vell as he is known on the Kree home world, saved Carol from an explosion, and in doing so transferred his powers into her.  Danvers was granted the abilities of flight, strength, and invulnerability to just name a few.  For quite a while Carol went under the alias Ms. Marvel until finally taking the mantle of Captain Marvel just a few years ago.  If DC and Marvel characters ever threw down she'd be my vote to face-off against Wonder Woman.
In the last month it seems like every fan boy has tried to make a case for their favorite actress to be Captain Marvel.  Five years ago I would have agreed with Charlize Theron, I've seen Natalie Dormer from Game of Thrones thrown into the mix, and I've even heard some would like Jennifer Lawrence cast in the part.  But the last few years I've had one female actress in mind to play Carol Danvers, and here are a few others I think would play the part marvel-ously, hehe. 

5) Blake Lively
Best known for her role in the teen soap Gossip Girl, Lively has been in several films like The Town, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and Green Lantern.  It's her experience as Carol Ferris that makes me think Lively would make a good Carol Danvers.  In Green Lantern she plays tough and sweet at the same time.  Plus, this would be another way for all of use to forget Green Lantern ever happened.  I know Blake's husband, Ryan Reynolds, wishes the same.

4) Rosemund Pike
I first saw Miss Pike in the 007 film, Die Another Day, which is one of the worst Bond films I've seen.  But I thought she was the best part of the film; or at least the hottest.  A few months ago I saw her in Gone Girl and I, like most of the viewing audience, were blown away by her performance.  Pike is almost guaranteed an Oscar nomination for her role, and her pick of any part she wants for the next five years.  Marvel Studios is known for bringing in the best actors to fill their roles, which is why they don't make just good comic book movies, but good movies period.

3) Anna Torv
I always had mixed feelings about the TV series Fringe.  I didn't like it at first, but then I did, and then later I gave up on it.  However, one of the reasons I kept watching was Anna Torv as Agent Olivia Dunham.  She was the series lead and carried the show through five season like a pro.  Dunham was a tough FBI agent who could handle herself in any situation.  Sounds like a super hero to me. 

2) Emily Blunt
This actress never popped into my head as Captain Marvel until I saw her on someone else's list.  Having just seen Edge of Tomorrow, Live Die Repeat, or whatever the film is now called, I thought she would do a good job as well.  Given that she is a much sought-after actress I'm not sure she'd be able to make the multi-picture deal Marvel Studios would make her sign, but I for one would be excited to see her play Carol Danvers.


1) Yvonne Strahovski
I didn't become a regular Chuck viewer until early in it's third season, but ever since Yvonne Strahovski has been on my Top 5 actress list and #1 on my list of actresses to play Ms. Marvel.  I've even pondered watching the last few season of Dexter just to see her in something a little more mature than Chuck.  She beautiful, intelligent, and can kick some ass if it comes to it.  Somebody get Kevin Feige the complete series of Chuck as a Christmas gift, or a Netflix account at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment