Tuesday, February 3, 2015

My Oscar 'Best Picture' Rankings

Last night I went and saw the film Selma, thus fulfilling a promise I made to myself months ago. Since I was a kid I have watched the Academy Awards.  As a child I saw very few of the pictures nominated, but as I get older I seem to see more and more Oscar movies.  However, every year I only end up seeing about two or three of the films nominated for Best Picture. 
Back in October I made myself a promise; that I would see all the Best Picture nominees by the time the 2015 Academy Awards aired.  So I spent the last few months watching films that were "Oscar bait" and by the time the nominees were announced I had only two films left to see.
In less than three weeks the whose who of Hollywood will gather on the red carpet as we all watch from home.  Being an avid movie watcher my favorite film of 2014, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, did not get nominated for Best Picture.  Some think the Academy is full of old white guys who are out of touch with the common man.  I think the Oscars have a high sense of class that even I don't agree with sometimes.  So, in an tempt to speak for the common man, this is what I thought about the "best pictures" of 2014.

AMERICAN SNIPER
One of the more recent films to come out, Bradley Cooper stars as the greatest American sniper in U.S. history and shows the personal turmoil with separating the character's war life from his personal life.  The film has come over controversy, some saying it glorifies war, but I didn't get that from the film.  I think director Clint Eastwood gives us a gripping tale about a patriotic man and overcoming the tragedies he has seen.
My Nominee Ranking: 5th

BIRDMAN
All the movie critics I listen to can't stop raving about this film.  Now, I will be satisfied if any of the actors, cinematographers, or director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, win an Oscar for their respective category.  I thought this film about a washed-up actor looking for a second chance was very well acted, and I loved the inventive tracking shots continuously throughout the film.  However, as far as entertainment value, I wasn't too engaged by it.  I respect it as the weird, indie, film that it is, but it just isn't my cup of tea.
My Nominee Ranking:  8th

BOYHOOD
This revolutionary film about a child growing up over twelve years started off kind of slow to me.  But as the film progressed you saw not only the boy evolve, but his parents and siblings as well.  Being a boy at one point in my life I could relate to the character and felt like director Richard Linklater nailed the confusing and stupid nuances every male goes through in their early life.  You barely realize that the film is almost three hours long.
My Nominee Ranking:  2nd

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
Wes Anderson has always been hit and miss with me.  I liked Rushmore and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, but wasn't a fan of The Royal Tenenbaums and The Darjeeling Limited.   This film ,about a young bellhop and the man who changes his life, I believe was one of Anderson's best.  The shining star of the film was Ralph Fiennes in one of his best performances ever.  I found it quirky and engaging.
My Nominee Ranking:  4th

THE IMITATION GAME
 I'm a fan of both Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightly so I was anxious to see how they would do in this WWII film about code breakers.  Cumberbatch is great, but his character isn't too far from those he's played before.  Knightly also did alright, but I've seen her give better performances. Never the less, the film is quite well constructed and entertaining.
My Nominees Ranking:  3rd

SELMA
Being the most recent film of the nominees I've seen, this film is still fresh in my mind.  I think David Oyelowo nails Dr. King. The speeches he gives in the film are very charismatic, much like I'm sure Martin Luther King Jr was.  It's a good film about the civil rights movement and some great supporting performances by Carmen Ejogo as Mrs. King and Tom Wilkinson as President Johnson.
My Nominee Ranking: 6th

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING 
Critic are raving about Michael Keaton in Birdman and that the Best Actor race is down to him and Eddie Redmayne.  If it was my vote I'd give it to Eddie Redmayne.  He physically pulls off the digression of Stephen Hawking terrifically.  I walked out of this film not only seeing a story about Hawking and his wife and the difficulties they face, but the difficulties many marriages face.
My Nominee Ranking: 7th

WHIPLASH
This film has made me willing to see anything Miles Teller does.  Teller plays a college drummer who is harassed and degraded by his teacher, played by J. K. Simmons.  But the humiliation only makes Teller's character work harder, to the point of physical and emotional harm.  Simmons is a lock for Best Supporting Actor, and though I was a bit disappointed Teller didn't get a Best Actor nomination I was in no way surprised given the competition.  But of the eight films nominated this is the film I walked out just thinking "wow".  I'm just happy it's in the Best Picture category.  I know it will not win, but as they say, it's just an honor to be nominated.
 My Nominee Ranking: 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment