Thursday, February 26, 2015

How Chris Taylor "Conquered" the Star Wars Story

       No more than ten minutes ago did I finish reading a book I've been working on for about a week and a half.  Now, even though I'm a big comic book/graphic novel reader my wife will testify that I rarely pick up an actual book these days.  So what rare gem got me to spend hours reading without fabulous art accompanying it?  A Star Wars book of course.
       Several people I follow on Twitter reommended a book by Chris Taylor titled, How Star Wars Conquered the Universe. I have seen and read dozens of Star Wars documentaries over the years and thought it would not include anything I didn't already know.  But then I realized this book went all the way up to the selling of Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, as well as details about the making of the Star Wars prequel films.
       It starts off talking about George Lucas's early life, including his struggle to get the first Star Wars film made; which all were things I knew about.  But included in these highlights were minuet details about Lucas.  He was in a car accident in his early life that sidetracked him from a race car career to film.  This led to a declaration to his father that he'd be a millionaire by the time he was 30.
       The main message I took away from this book was the inner struggle and public perception of George Lucas.  He was a visionary who created an empire, but struggled to control it; at least in his mind.  I am honestly now craving to see a biographic film done on George Lucas.  It would work great in the same tone as The Aviator or Jobs.  The final part could be him securing Lucasfilm and the Star Wars legacy before selling to Disney.
       Also included in the book are the various fandoms of Star Wars throughout the world.  From the formation of the 501st, to the R2 Builders, and even Australia making "Jedi" the second most popular religion in the country.  The book highlights the craze that is Star Wars.
       The most interesting chapter to me was #25, How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Prequels.  In this chapter, Taylor went around to various Star Wars fans who either like or hate Episodes I-III. Taylor spoke with one father who doesn't allow any Star Wars in his house unless it's the original trilogy. He even gets mad when his kid's friends talk about The Clone Wars TV series. Taylor interviewed another man who goes so far in defending the prequel films he discusses The Phantom Menace with actor Jake Lloyd, who quit acting after playing Anakin in the film.  Lloyd de-friended the man on Facebook when he realized he had named his son Anakin.
       The chapter also mentions the various order to watch the six films in.  Each order having a different effect/tone, which I have personally done and vouch for.  The most famous order being the "Machete Order."  Also talked about are the many prequel-cuts that fans have made, including actor Topher Grace.  I myself have even edited the three films so that I may try and enjoy them more.  Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith I believe are an improvement, but no matter how much I cut Jar Jar and little Ani out of Episode I there may be no saving it.
       The beginning of the book began with what I thought was a great comparison by writer Andrew Summers and the love/hate relationship the fans have with the franchise.  "Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted evil father, and somehow seeing good." While every fan boy agrees Star Wars is awesome, we may not all agree on what part of Star Wars we like.
       How Star Wars Conquered the Universe not only tells the tale of George Lucas's journey (I don't have time to cite the comparisons to Anakin Skywalker's journey) but the journey of a multi-billion dollar phenomenon that will last till all life on this world is dead........we'll probably be killed by our own Death Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment