Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Spidey Joins the Avengers in the MCU

Last night I was doing my usual thing, watching some television and casually browsing the internet on my tablet.  After drinking a few beers I came across a piece of news claiming Spider-Man will be in a Marvel Studios movie.  I've heard these claims for years now, but then I saw that this came straight from marvel.com.  I couldn't believe my eyes, and I was way too tipsy to think about the possibilities and hurdles.  But today I'm as sober as Captain Amierca on a Sunday.
Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios have reached a deal that will allow Spider-Man to appear in an MCU film before getting another film in 2017.  The web slinger will still be Sony property, but will be produced by Marvel Studios president, Kevin Feige.  Plans are even in talks to bring Marvel Studio characters into a Spider-Man movie.  Shortly after this announcement Marvel Studios released a statement saying that their film slate for the next four years has been altered.  The next Marvel film we will see after Captain America: Civil War will be the new Spider-Man movie and not Thor: Ragnarok.
I was one of the non-believers who said we would never see this day.  Even though rumors have been swirling for months.  Sony Pictures had high hopes for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and even though it made money, the film fell quite short of their expectations.  Since then Sony claimed it was still moving forward with its Spider-Man film universe.  A Sinister Six and Venom movie were rumored to be in the works.  But with Sony's financial trouble, along with some e-mail hacks, Marvel must have seen their opportunity to bring ol' web-head back home.  
The problem is going to be integration.  I never saw a mixture of Spider-Man into the MCU because the two studios would fight over every detail.  Spider-Man is a bigger franchise than Captain America,  so would Sony get a bigger cut of the movie profits?  If someone is in trouble, Sony will want Spider-Man to do the daring rescue and not Iron Man.  With Spidey staying under the Sony banner I think these questions will arise.  However, with Feige basically in charge of the production, I  also believe these issues will be taken care of.
The two Marvel Studio films coming out this year will be Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man.  Both of these movies are already done filming and are in post production.  The next film will be Captain America: Civil War, and then a Spider-Man movie is promised.  If Marvel wishes to bring Spidey into the fold before his own solo movie it's a safe bet he'll be joining Cap and Iron Man for Civil War. Which sounds exciting to me because Spider-Man was a big part of the original Civil War comic.  
However, with the third Captain America film almost a year away, plans have to be made in regards to Spider-Man.  Word has it that this will be another reboot for the web slinger.  It won't be Andrew Garfield playing Peter Parker, so casting for that role has to begin soon.  But with such a big story as Civil War I don't believe there will be time for another Spider-Man origin story.  Will Marvel just put Spidey into the mix and worry about the origin in his solo film?  But why do we even need another origin story?  It's been done twice within the last thirteen years.  In the Civil War comic Peter has been Spider-Man for a while.  I think they should just start off there.  I'd much rather see a seasoned Spider-Man than another tale of Peter discovering his powers.    
  As much excitement as this announcement has caused I feel like it has posed over a dozen question about Spider-Man's future, his part in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and whether he'll be in it for the long hall.  Could we see Spider-Man in Avengers: Infinity War Pt. 1?  Or is Sony only trying to use this deal to springboard Spider-Man back to the top of film franchises?  Is Marvel Studios now setting their sites on bringing Fantastic Four or X-Men into the MCU?  I'm sure we'll all have these answers in time.  All I can leave you with is the same phrase I've been saying the last few years; In Feige We Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment