Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Deadpool Trailer Looks True To Character

So the first trailer for the upcoming Deadpool movie has been released and above is the red band version of it.  It premiered last night on Conan as Ryan Reynolds showed up in full costume to promote the film he seems to have put his heart and soul into.
For those who don't remember, Reynolds first played the Merc with a Mouth in 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine.  But the film makers made the biggest mistake about a character who's known for his quick wit and zany dialogue; they sewed his mouth shut.  Since then Reynolds has been the strongest advocate for the advancement of a true adaptation of the character, and judging from this trailer we might just get it.
Reynolds will play Wade Wilson, an assassin who becomes physically and emotionally scarred, and then proceeds to cause chaos as a sutio hero in the Marvel U.  From the trailer it appears that Fox is really trying to give Wilson a good backstory to make the character likable and relatable.  I can get behind this so long as when he his in the red costume he's a total nut ball.  Deadpool annoys everyone one in the Marvel Universe because he never shuts up and has a loose moral code for killing bad guys.  He's also known constantly for breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience; which I would love to see in this film.
Truth be told though, I'm not a big Deadpool fan.  My brother however is.  I get the appeal.  I like the character.  But I feel he is great as a supporting character and not a lead.  I am interested to see this film, especially after seeing this trailer, but not as excited as seeing X-Men: Apocalypse.  I am however ecstatic that Fox seems to be sticking to the root of the character this lots of perverted jokes and a violent R-rating.  I'm not sure how this Deadpool will then fit into Fox's PG-13 X-Men Universe they are creating, but I think they are doing right by the source material, which studios need to realize is sometimes the best way to go.  
So for now, I'm on board.  I'm curious to see how Colossus will fit into this film, or if any other X-Men show up (come on Hugh Jackman).  But come February I'll be at the theater hoping for another successful and entertaining comic book film.  How else are we supposed to waste our time until Batman v Superman comes out?

No comments:

Post a Comment