Monday, August 3, 2015

Original Animated Transformers Movie Still the Best

On my morning drive today I decided to listen to my animated movie playlist on my ipod.  This collection of songs range from soundtracks Aladdin to South Park: Bigger, Long, and Uncut. But just as I was almost to my place of employment "Dare" by Stan Bush came on and that really got me jazzed.  This being one of two songs Stan Bush does for the soundtrack of Transformers: The Movie.  No, not the original Michael Bay film, the very first Transformers film that was released in 1986 that has way better characters, plot, and music than any of the live-action adaptations.  If you haven't seen it, or like the franchise in any fashion, this is my plea as to why you should BUY the film right now!
In the future year of 2005(which is now the past) the Autobots and Decepticons war has been raging through the galaxy for years, but after a devastating battle has left both sides leader-less they must figure out where to go next.  However, this new generation can not wallow long for a force known as Unicron is ravaging it's way through the galaxy, and has its sites set on their home world of Cybertron. 
 First off, the voice cast is great with Brat Pack member Judd Nelson as Hot Rod; the film's lead and new hero.  On the opposite end is the late Leonard Nimoy as Galvatron; the new leader of the Decepticons.  Throw in Robert Stack, Orson Welles, and that Micro Machine guy as Blurr, and you've got a cast that is top knotch that comes across great.
Next, the plot is way beyond anything Michael Bay ever gave us.  Granted, this film's main purpose was to introduce the next line of toys for Hasbro, but their are a lot of fan favorite characters that bite the dust.  This leaves our new heroes traveling across the galaxy to try to get to Cybertron in time.  The Autobots get stuck on strange worlds with strange creatures that are quite entertaining.  It's like Star Wars blended with Transformers to give us the ultimate space journey movie!
Finally, it's all about the music!  I have been patronized many a times in my life for my love of this soundtrack.  If I were to take one album that optimized 80's music this would be it.  It has hair band rock, inspiring synthesized songs, and a weird song by Weird Al.  "Dare" and "The Touch" are on my exercise playlist that help me stay pumped.  To this day, I still get chills when "The Touch" plays at the end of the film as Hot Rod, having gone through his heroes journey, tells his friends to "transform and roll out."
Like I said, it's a film of epic proportions that can only be done right through animation.  It's got a serious tone to it that I would not recommend for young kids.  In fact, when the film was originally released some parents wrote Hasbro complaining about the mature content that their kids had now seen.  They received so many complaints it urged Hasbro to make some changes to their next animated film G.I. Joe: The Movie.
Turn off the lights, turn off your cell phones, and prepare for an animated film that some may have never experienced.  By the end of it you'll be just as mad as I was about Bay's treatment of Arcee in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  That movie continues to disappoint even years later.


No comments:

Post a Comment