Friday, August 28, 2015

My "The Force Awakens Prep Guide" Part I: The Film Saga

Next week is Force Friday.  For those of you who don't know it's the day when the toys and products for the upcoming Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, hits stores around the country.  Star Wars merchandise has been a huge part of the Star Wars franchise going all the way back to 1977.  When Revenge of the Sith was released I had to hold myself back from buying all the lightsabers and collectables I could.  I assume I will need that same will power come next week.
As The Force Awakens approaches I am becoming more and more excited for the film.  Growing up as both a Star Wars and comic book fan I've read quite a few Star Wars comics in my day.  I've also read quite a few Star Wars novels, played some video games, and tried almost anything baring the Star Wars logo.  I've even gone as far as re-editing the prequel films.  I've added deleted scenes from the DVD extras and deleted some scenes in Episodes I-III to make them more enjoyable for myself. 
To prepare for December 18th, I'll be spending the next three months re-reading some of my favorite Star Wars comic book story lines, re-watching some Clone Wars and Rebels episodes, and of course re-watching the entire Star Wars film saga.  
The other day a friend of mine asked what she could watch and read to help prepare her for Episode VII.  And she's not the only one.  So, I decided to do these blog entries as a way to give my advice on what comic books, novels, TV episodes, and anything else Star Wars that I enjoy, and others may like.  I'll give several suggestions and rate them on a scale from 1 to 5 as to what you should check out with a 1 being my most highly recommended.  Hope everyone enjoys this, and May the Force Be With You!

EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE (5)
In the "machete order" of watching Star Wars movies this film is actually not included, and for good reason.  It's my least favorite of the Star Wars saga and the one I only watch when I'm doing a marathon.  But, if you want to get kids started on Star Wars it's the one that is the most "kid friendly" with the goofy Jar Jar Binks, and the hero of the film being 10-year-old Anakin Skywalker.  When I edited this film I took out as much Jar Jar and Anakin as I could and ended up cutting 30 minutes out of the movie.
  EPISODE II:  ATTACK OF THE CLONES (4)
George Lucas called this film a love story, but he forgot to add the "love story" part of it.  All the DVD deleted scenes are expanding the relationship between Anakin and Padme.  So I added them back into the film as well as took out some parts I thought would make Anakin a little less creepy and annoying.  Say what you will about Hayden Christensen in this role, I think he played the part as best as he could with what little direction Lucas gave him.  My second least favorite Star Wars film, but I actually enjoy watching it when all the deleted scenes are added back in.

EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH (3)
I think we can all agree this is the best of the prequel films, and I think had this been the only prequel Star Wars movie released some fans would not have the disgust they seem to have for Episodes I-III. This is also the film I edited the least.  My big gripe is Natalie Portman getting totally shafted in this one. Padme is built up as such a strong character in the first two films, but all she does is cry over Anakin.  This sucks because there are several deleted scenes that include her helping start the Rebellion.  If you read How Star Wars Conquered The Universe (which I'll get to in another part) it's said that Portman and Lucas started having disagreements.  Maybe that's why she is barely in Episode III.

EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE (1)
The one that started it all!  My second favorite Star Wars film.  When Revenge of the Sith first came out on DVD I skipped all my college classes for a day and ended up spending 14 hours watching the entire saga.  By the time I got to this film I A) had a greater understanding of who Darth Vader was under the mask, and B) felt so bad for Obi-Wan and all the horrible things he had to live through.

EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1)
My favorite Star Wars film AND one of my Top 10 favorite movies ever.  When I was a kid I used to fake being sick just to skip school and watch this movie.  I hate what Lucas has done with all the Special Edition add-ins; from seeing the wampa, to Luke shrieking as he falls into the abyss because he'd rather die than join the Dark Side.  I own the Star Wars blu-ray set and I never watch it!  Because I prefer my prequel edits and the original versions of the original trilogy.

EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI (1)
All those who said Luke was a whiney girl in the first two films, this one will shut you up!  Luke is the man with one of my favorite movie lines ever.  "Jabba, this is you last chance.  Free us or die."  What he basically is saying is, "I'm about to open a can of whoop ass on you."  This ends the originally trilogy and is the last we see of Luke, Han, and Leia in theaters until their return on December 18th in Episode VII: The Force Awakens that takes place 30 years after this film.



No comments:

Post a Comment