Thursday, March 24, 2016

5 Things I Want To See in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice'

Yes, I know.  It's been a LOOOOOOOOONG time since I have written an actual blog on Blogger.  I hopped on the podcast bandwagon and have been riding that engine ever since.  But I felt like a topic such as this one deserved my special touch.  So, I guess that means that from time to time you still may see me write an actual blog.  But don't hold your breath on it.
I am only a few hours away from watching a film most fanboys have wait years, if not their whole lives, to see.  Anyone who knows me, or heard me talk about Man of Steel, knows I had some major issues with it.  Though none of them had to do with their pick of Henry Cavill as Superman.  It's Zach Snyder's style I thought ruined the film, and ever since I heard he was not only continuing with Batman v Superman, but Justice League as well, I've been afraid of the entire DC Cinematic Universe expansion.  I loved the casting of Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Batman and Alfred.  I hated the casting of Jesse Eisenberg and Gal Gadot as Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman.  I want to like this movie.  I'm trying my best to walk into it with hope and an open mind.  But even today, as I see bad headlines online, I am preparing for the worst.
While not a fan of the previous film it was not without merit.  Like I said, I liked Henry Cavill as Clark Kent, I liked Amy Adams and Laurence Fishburne as Lois Lane and Perry White.  And I loved the visual effects.  Seeing Superman and Zod fight, while very unnecessary, was cool to watch.  So in order to correct this ship that Man of Steel has launched I've thought of 5 things I'd like to see in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice to get me on board with the DCCU moving forward.

1)  Superman must feel bad about killing Zod
I get that Superman kills every once and a while.  I've read enough comics to know he avoids it at all costs, but sometimes, it happens.  My main gripe with him snapping Zod's neck in MoS was tat it was the first Superman film of the reboot.  The audience didn't even get one film to establish his rule on not killing.  In Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy the first two entire films established that Batman went out of his way not to kill because it separates him from his enemies.  Is Snyder and writer David Goyer saying Superman has no quarrel with it?
I want Clark to draw the line in this film.  I want him to have thought about his actions and realized that Zod is the last life he'll ever take.  Jor-El sent Kal-El to Earth to "give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards".  Right now, Clark is down in the mud with the rest of us.  That isn't Superman.  Like Captain America, he is supposed to show us that the right thing to do is usually the hardest choice.

2)  Keep Doomsday's screen time minimal
When I saw that Lex was going to turn Zod's corpse into the villain known as Doomsday I was horrified.  And not by Doomsday's appearance.  It was that they took this iconic, powerful, villain and put him in the 2nd film of this cinematic universe.  Marvel has been teasing Thanos for 6 films!  In the comics, Doomsday took out the entire Justice League before killing Superman.  Now, it appears that a rookie Superman and Wonder Woman, along with Batman, can handle this force of nature.  Um.....no.  
However, if Doomsday shows up at the end of this film, and the Trinity realizes they can't take down this beast alone, so then they form the Justice League to help them.  I'd be on board with that.  If you're going to waste a good villain like Zod in the first Superman film, and then double tap that bad decision by turning him into Doomsday, at least make it worth our while. 
    
3)  Show me Darkseid
We've all seen the parademons and the Omega symbol in the Batman v Superman trailer.  So we can all guess that Darkseid will be the big bad guy in the Justice League film.  In the mid-credit scene for The Avengers we got our first glimpse of Thanos and had non-comic readers saying, "Isn't that Red Skull?"  I want a tease like that.  I've seen parademons; show me the big guy.  Show me the ultimate galactic villain that Warner Bros and DC thought it would be ok to have in the 5th film of their cinematic universe(Marvel is at 13 and still not fought Thanos).  I just wanna know what he looks like.  I figure the Justice League film will loosely be based on Geoff Johns New 52 storyline; Origin.  Or if you want to check out the animated film, Justice League: War to get an idea what the live-action film may be like, it's also based in Origin

4)  Lois supporting Clark
In several storylines we see that Lois is Superman's anchor to humanity.  I will also give some credit to Ma and Pa Kent.  Clark is a being who is so powerful he can take over the world; possibly the galaxy.  But his human emotions, like love, are what keep him humble.  Without them, he'd really think he was a god.  Governments and vigilantes are coming after Clark for the destruction of Metropolis.  He will feel ashamed.  He will feel like his mission is not worth it.  Lois has to be there to support him.  To know that world needs someone like him to give them hope.  And Lois needs to be there for him so that he doesn't have to be "Superman" all the time.  I love that Lois knows who Clark is right from that start.  So let's not waste it.

5)  Don't screw up Wonder Woman!!!!!
Ben Affleck has proven himself in recent years to be not only an accomplished actor, but a great film maker as well.  I have no worries that he will make a good Batman.  But giving the most iconic female superhero character in history to a model who is trying to start an acting career?  What were they thinking!!!!!  
Granted, I have been trying to hold off judgement on Gal Gadot until I see the film, but I have been VERY scared of this casting choice since the beginning.  The only thing I've seen Gadot in is the Fast & Furious films and I was not impressed at all.  Rumor has it WW isn't in the film enough to make or break it, but with her own solo film coming out next year I feel like the entire female superhero film sub-genre is on Gal Gadot's shoulders.  And those shoulders look like they can barely lift a lasso.

No comments:

Post a Comment